Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How am I suppose to parent my kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I live on a narrow dead end street. I always thought my neighbor was nice and understanding that I have a large family. My kids are always riding their bikes and scooters on the road, like any other kid would and do around here.
The kids and I road to the park a block away. Ds3 decided to go back home to use the bathroom. I had to check on dinner anyway.
So ds3 takes off like a bat out of hell and cuts through two yards. He has the home owners' permission to do that. I on the other had was baby wearing a three month old and had a two year old on the back on a kid seat.
I get to the house and ds3 is coming back outside. I saw my neighbor and he told me he almost hit ds3 and that ds3 fell and he was afraid he might have got hurt. I told him that ds3 looked fine and told ds3 that is why I tell him to keep his helmet on.
I tell ds3 to go inside. I tell ds3 that since he cannot keep his helmet on and pay attention to his surroundings, no bike for a week.
While I was inside my dh came home. He over heard my neighbor telling our other neighbors how "they don't watch the kids and their kids are always running around like crazy."
he comes inside and tell him what his son did. That is when he tells me what he heard the neighbor say. I asked what did our other neighbor say and he said the guy just walked away he didn't seem to want to get involved.
So what am I suppose to do? Keep my kids cooped up in the house? Give him an itineraryof my parental protocols? There are kids running and riding up and down the road all day long; it is just that I have a bulk of the kids doing it.

FYI- Ds3 is not three years old smh.

Just to make it clear, ds3 had his helmet attach to his handle bars and rode off before putting it on. He wore his helmet to the park.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3companytoo
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think my kids were running around by themselves at 3. I can understand why your neighbor was upset if he almost hit your son. He could've killed him. We all get busy sometimes and days like this happen. Don't take it personal, just keep a closer eye on your little ones.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Babywearing while on a bike is NOT safe.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

Nor would I allow a 3 year old to go off without me.

And I would NEVER allow my kids (permission or not) to cut through others property.  It's just rude.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:15 AM

Wait you were baby wearing while riding a bike?

You should be judged for bad parenting.

Wtf!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:16 AM

He wasn't three years old.

It's her third ds.

We'll that is how I read it anyway.
Quoting Not_A_Native:

And I would NEVER allow my kids (permission or not) to cut through others property.  It's just rude.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Holy crap, THREE?  A block away?

I know I'm a somewhat paranoid parent, but my kids are still alive and well at 9 and 13, soooo... please don't tell me you regularly let this happen.  Or that you ride a bike wearing a baby.  Dear god.

What are you supposed to do?  Suck it up like the rest of us and a) don't cook dinner while taking the kids a block away to a park and b) watch your freaking kids.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:21 AM
Yeah, you should watch your kids. And don't let them cut through yards, it's a bad habit to have.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Ds3 as my third son.

Quoting 3companytoo:

I don't think my kids were running around by themselves at 3. I can understand why your neighbor was upset if he almost hit your son. He could've killed him. We all get busy sometimes and days like this happen. Don't take it personal, just keep a closer eye on your little ones.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:49 AM

Ds3 is my third son. He has permission, like every other kid in the neighborhood. The two yards are right behind the park. To take the road makes it a block ride.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

liltampa71
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:51 AM

How about ignoring the haters and do you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:52 AM

It is a common practice here. I don't ride crazy on my bike. My feet touch the road, relaxed on the schwinn bike on the road. I race bikes amateur but well. I would never wear a baby on my racing or mountain bike.

Quoting Elyce225: Wait you were baby wearing while riding a bike? You should be judged for bad parenting. Wtf!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)