Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supersize vs super skinny?!?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
http://youtu.be/nhJ43q6yBK0

I was surfing through YouTube and came across the UK show. It's sad at how they view (even the morbidly obese guests) Americans and our diet. It's even sadder how right they are on many accounts. I realize this isn't an accurate portrayal for all Americans, but it's far more common than I think most want to admit. I think the figures they gave are that 1/2 of men and 1/3 of women in America are obese (which is different than being just "fat" or merely overweight). I want to be outraged everytime they bring up Americans' in this way, essentially telling the UK guests and viewers if they don't make changes they will end up like the American population, but I can't. Because it's true.
What are your thoughts on this show and its depiction of Americans as obese and lazy over eaters?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the average American is fat, lazy, and unhealthy. Statistics back this up. It's hard to argue with facts.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM
This...

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think the average American is fat, lazy, and unhealthy. Statistics back this up. It's hard to argue with facts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:45 AM
I'm not any of those and plenty of countries have a large population of fat people. China for example. Talk shit about America when we're the only fat population. I bet you have more than a few fatties in your family alone.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think the average American is fat, lazy, and unhealthy. Statistics back this up. It's hard to argue with facts.
liza44
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM
I don't care what they think.
Color.me.Pink
Call me selfish, but I only care about me and my weight. I'm not fat or lazy. Fck what they think.
rubixcubes
A third of the adults are overweight and 1 in 3 kids are overweight in this country.

It's an accurate portrayal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:47 AM
I agree. I think a lot of the problem is that they (we) don't want to admit that. I don't agree with body shaming, but so many hide behind that when confronted with their unhealthy lifestyle. People want a quick fix and don't like being told that the only sure fire way to lose weight is to eat less, eat more healthy foods and exercise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I love that show, and when they do the people walking on the streets opening, I see a lot of heavy people, only the architecture distinguishes it from America. I also love when shows interview fat people from other countries who claim they couldn't finish the huge portions provided in American restaurants. My question is- how'd they get so fat then? It's like pot, meet kettle.
msb64
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Britain is only a few percentage points behind the US when it comes to obesity.  They already have ended up like the American population.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:56 AM
I think most of the world sees America that way. When I visited America, when I came home, I was asked if everyone was really fat and if there are McDonalds on every corner. I was in NYC so there was but I didn't see a lot of obese people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)