Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't tell me my baby is "too attached!"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I'm a single mother to one 8 month old baby girl. I EBF on demand and I'm fortunately able to stay home with my girl. I just do what feels right when it comes to mothering, since my mother and I aren't particularity close advice is difficult to attain. From what I read of attachment parenting , I'd comfortably say I parent in that style.

I love the way things are going with my daughter. She certainly is attached to me, but shouldn't she be?

I'm getting really annoyed with my family members and friends giving little comments like:

"Oh you'll never be able to get a sitter!"

"What will you do when she has to go to school!?"

"You need to let her cry more"

"You're not going to breastfeed her till she's two are you?"

Most annoying part- it's mainly men saying these things to me. Or women who's children turned out about as well as their advice. I want to just say shut up and let me be. But I'm too passive.

The way I see it, I'm very blessed to be able to spend 24/7 with my baby. Why would I want to be anywhere else in the world?

If it were peace and quiet and time to myself I was looking for, I'd not have had a baby in the first place.
Rant over.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM

popcorn

ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM
I had a doctor tell my my 11-month old needed to be "more independent." People are dumb.
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Meh it is what it is.  That would annoy me too.  I was very attached to my kids as well.  Although we did leave them with grandparents and baby sitters from time to time.  You have to do what's right for you AND baby :).  Also 8 months is still so young.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM
If they were telling you that at 18 months then they might have a point but at 8 months, probably not.
Tea_Love
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM

My family said the same things to me so I feel you. It was really annoying and not to mention it made me second guess my instincts. When he was 1.5 they all bought him underwear and gave me pointed looks like somehow I had failed in potty training already. There is always something for them to have an opinion on. Bleh.

mjande4
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM

If you were truly confident and happy with your choices, then you would not be complaining about comments from others. You would just be ignoring them and enjoying your time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:36 AM

The thing is, your child needs to know that you can go away and you will come back.  You need to ensure that your child can be independent as she gets older.  You will do her no favors if you don't.

How can you afford to be home being a single mom

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:36 AM
I think it's natural to second guess a little when its your mother and grandmother giving you contrary advice.

Quoting mjande4:

If you were truly confident and happy with your choices, then you would not be complaining about comments from others. You would just be ignoring them and enjoying your time.

TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM
Ignore them.
Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I would have said to stick to what the know.

Quoting ResidentRedhead: I had a doctor tell my my 11-month old needed to be "more independent." People are dumb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)