Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's nothing like losing a child!

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

I hate when people compare losing their dog to losing a child. It is nothing like losing a child. You expect to outlive your pet and even if it dies suddenly, very young or violently it's nothing like losing a child.

When my dog died I cried at random for a year, so yes, losing a pet is sad but I don't think I could function if I lost a child. 

You can tell it's nothing like losing a child because no one who has lost a child has ever said "this is just like the time my dog died." The second someone says that losing their pet is like losing a child I completely lose sympathy for them. 

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
km1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand what you are saying. We've lost a child and we just put down our dog on Saturday. It isn't the same, but there is still grief involved in both situations. I don't know if it is fair to make grief a competition. Everyone has their own life experiences, and everyone processes grief differently. Losing our son was the single most devastating thing we've experienced( I wouldn't wish that type of pain on anyone) but it doesn't mean losing our pet wasn't painful. 

lizzie_ann
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend who was devasted when she had to put her dog down because it reminded her of when they took her son off the vent and he died. I have another friend who was also extremely upset when their dog died after her son did. 

I imagine that I'll feel similarly when my dog dies, partly because it will bring up the old grief from my daughter's death and partly because my dog is a beloved member of our family and was my "baby" after my daughter died. 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I've never heard anyone compare the 2.

I did have someone at my work try to use bereavement when his dog died though.

3companytoo
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM

I just don't understand the bond that "pet parents" have. I see a dog as a dog nothing more.

Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM

There is a lady who's dog died at a Petco and the Huff post is leading the article with the quote "It's like I've lost my child." 

Quoting Seagodess:

I've never heard anyone compare the 2.

I did have someone at my work try to use bereavement when his dog died though.

Maevelyn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:01 AM

I don't deny that it's sad but if you had to pick a worse day, it's going to be the day you lose a child. I love my dog and losing him would be devastating but as unbearably horrible as it would be in some alternate Saw like world where I had to choose, I would kill him with my bare hands to save my child's life. 

I can see how losing a pet after a child would be hard because you're piling loss onto of loss and I don't blame them for being more upset because it reminded them of their child dying. I would imagine that all loss will be held up against that for a long time. That doesn't mean that it's the same type of grief. 

Quoting lizzie_ann:

I have a friend who was devasted when she had to put her dog down because it reminded her of when they took her son off the vent and he died. I have another friend who was also extremely upset when their dog died after her son did. 

I imagine that I'll feel similarly when my dog dies, partly because it will bring up the old grief from my daughter's death and partly because my dog is a beloved member of our family and was my "baby" after my daughter died. 

madwifa
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:02 AM
I never heard ot compared. Whoever said it is stupid
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)