Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is that NOT a crime?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM
  • 49 Replies

I'm sure you've seen the edited video, but in finally found the full one.

instand by the cop on this one. Even if you believe your arrest to be illegal, that doesn't give you the right to resist. 

But I have a more important question... He said no crime had been committed. So it's perfectly legal for me to run up on a car, punch the window, and throw shit at it as long as it doesn't cause any damage? Don't you think that should be illegal?

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Bump
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM

I cant watch the video, and have no clue what this is about, so I dont know.

NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Whoa.  What I got from that was that they started to arrest her because she wouldn't give her name until she checked to see if she was legally required to give her name to a cop.

Am I missing something?

caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:43 PM
Is this happening at a freaking school?
LiLJeni
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM
I feel like I missed something. The video won't play for me for some reason.
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:53 PM

California laws are vague as to when a cop can request identification. Given that she was operating a motor vehicle, and her driving recklessly came into question, he should be able to request her name to run her DL. If he was just filing an incident report (which many cops do in a he said she said type of thing) then he still has the authority to ask for a name. 

If she thought he was illegally arresting her, she should've taken the arrest and fought it. The only time you can legally resist arrest is when you feel your life is in danger. 

But still... Is it really not a crime in california to punch a car window and throw shit at it? 

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Whoa.  What I got from that was that they started to arrest her because she wouldn't give her name until she checked to see if she was legally required to give her name to a cop.

Am I missing something?

Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Yup. She was banned from the school. They later lifted the ban. This happened a few months ago.

Quoting caustinb: Is this happening at a freaking school?

kbntaej
by Josephine on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Legally, she does not have to provide her name. Is there proof she assaulted that other woman's car?
Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:57 PM

The lady claimed to have witnesses. But I guess the investigation didn't get that far. 

Quoting kbntaej: Legally, she does not have to provide her name. Is there proof she assaulted that other woman's car?

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 2, 2015 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
It's possible for both parties to be in the wrong.

While she should have cooperated, I think there are ways to restrain someone without going overboard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)