Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Niece isn't making an effort to get to know her younger step sister...thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
My niece is 23. Her dad, my brother, got remarried last year. She's not a fan of his new wife.

Anyway, his new wife has a 7yo daughter who her dad is planning to adopt. In school they were discussing family relationships a few months ago, and she put two and two together was excited to discover she has a step sister. She's been calling her that since and wants to do sisterly things.

My niece has zero interest. She works full time, is doing a masters part time, has a boyfriend and a busy social life.

In a few weeks, some of her friends with sisters are going to see a princess play of some kind. She was begging her mom and my brother for my niece to go with her so she'd have a sister there like her friends. My brother didn't want to disappoint her so he went to his den and shut the door and called her.

I guess the phone volume was up and when he said "it's a sisters day, she wants you there because you're her sister", my niece responded "she isn't my sister, she's your wife's daughter, and I'm not spending a Saturday at a princess play with a random kid". My step niece heard and was so upset.

Idk I can see both sides here. It wouldn't kill my niece to go, but my step niece is coming on very strong with this stuff and I think it puts her off more.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM
My mom got remarried 14 yrs ago. I was 26 and he had 3 kids that were in their 20's. I've never met them or spoken to them. They live on the East Coast and I live on the west coast.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM
No, feelings and family are not instant.
She has no feelings about her. And she has the right to those feelings
And if she doesn't want to make time, she isn't required to
cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, but no child should ever have to like a step sibling. I dont like mine, and thats okay.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I can see where the 23yo is coming from. When I was her age I was completely disinterested in children, a day playing princess stuff would with a bunch of kids would not be on my agenda.

I'd feel bad if I knew the kid heard me say that though. I'm not that big of an asshole.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:20 PM
No, she is not wrong. She is an adult that no longer lives at home. Even siblings that live together may not be close.
bigmouthbabe
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM
Eh. You are dealing with an adult. In that case I wouldn't push a relationship. Encourage? Maybe, but she is grown.
curvygurl1912
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM
6 moms liked this

This shit again?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM
I have a friendly personality and I would instantly want to bond with a step sibling. But that's just me.

Early 20's some people just don't get that there are other people in the world besides themselves lol. I feel bad for the little girl. Perhaps with time things might change.
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Quoting curvygurl1912:

This shit again?

o.0
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Right??  At least change the ages up a bit to make it almost (and I do mean ALMOST) interesting.

Quoting curvygurl1912:

This shit again?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)