Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just hung up on my mom.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this
Yep. My dd is 18. She is graduating high school Friday and moving with my parents on Saturday.

Well, we have strict rules for the kids to get a drivers license. My dd has finally been responsible enough to follow the rules to get her license. Our rules are they have to have a 3.5 GPA (insurance reasons) a job to pay for gas, insurance, and maitness(sp?) .. Pretty easy rules.

Well, like I said dd just finally about 3 months ago has done the rules. Well, she's been taking the test, where we live you can only take the test 5 times, then you have to wait a month before you can take it again. Today was her final time taking the test and failed again.

My mom called me, yelling at me because dd should have had her license when she was 16! That this is my fault she failed and don't have it yet. I hung up on her. I'm not listening to it. The rules were simple. Dd didn't like the rules, still don't which is why she is moving in with grandma n grandpa. Ugh. Bad thing is, I had these rules as a kid also. My parents are due to be at my house Thursday. It will be a long 3 day visit.
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Bump
jmlmomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM

I agree with your rules...

seems like your parents have forgotten what it's like to be a parent... guess they will get a rude awakening ....... Good luck to them all....

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
They have no clue what they are in store for. They still see dd case this perfect little 5 yr old. Ha! Jokes on them. I love them all but damn!

Quoting jmlmomma:

I agree with your rules...

seems like your parents have forgotten what it's like to be a parent... guess they will get a rude awakening ....... Good luck to them all....

maliksmama2
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM
Maintenance*, and your parents are hypocrites.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM
If she failed the test she's not ready yet. She needs to be able to pass it so she can prove she knows the rules of the road. It's about safety.

If I had been your daughter I'd have satisfied those rules at age 16, so I don't think that's unfair.
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Thanks ha. Couldnt remember!!

Quoting maliksmama2: Maintenance*, and your parents are hypocrites.
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Yes I agree.

Quoting ame85: If she failed the test she's not ready yet. She needs to be able to pass it so she can prove she knows the rules of the road. It's about safety.

If I had been your daughter I'd have satisfied those rules at age 16, so I don't think that's unfair.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the kids I know (including my own) don't get their license until they are 18 anyway. I made the option available to DS and oldest DD with very similar rules. They followed the rules but had/have no interest in getting it before they turned/turn 18. They don't want to waste the money on Driver's Ed when their step dad is an excellent teacher and don't want a graduated license. 

I have spoken to several people and their kids feel the same way. Once they pulled Driver's Ed out of the schools the kids lost interest and many of the parents can't afford $1200.00 per kid for private lessons. 

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:47 PM
Yes my parents are major hypocrites!

Quoting DallasCowboys81: Thanks ha. Couldnt remember!!

Quoting maliksmama2: Maintenance*, and your parents are hypocrites.
Maruchan
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:53 PM
Your rules are more than fair. I started learning to drive before I was ready and was failing driver's ed. I took a break and came back and passed. One of my favorite memories of my late dad was me coming back from class after I passed (the school was across the street from my house) and him giving me the keys to our older car, because it was mine now.
I hope you luck on their visit. Maybe once they realize she's not a little angel they will come around and she will grow up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)