Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my ankle may be broken *update*

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM
  • 42 Replies
I was coming down the driveway. It's like I stepped on the outside of my foot and I heard a pop when I went down. It swelled quickly. The more time that passes, the more it hurts.

Yes, I'm putting ice on it. Yes, I have it elevated. Yes, I took some ibuprofen. This hurts worse than any other time I twisted it.

Just waiting on DH to get home. He has enough training to determine if I need to go to the ER. I just want the pain to stop.

Update: called my clinic and the said the urgent care has x-ray. DH should be home really soon and I'll have him take me there.

UPDATE: DH got home and looked at it. He didn't feel the need for me to be seen, so I didn't go anywhere. By last night, I was able to move around without having to hold onto anything. I'm slightly swollen today with a little bit of bruising. I'm getting around much better. It's gonna be awhile before I'm 100% and we're reconsidering going to the amusement park next week for the kids birthdays. Tonight's gonna be rough; I've got all 3 kiddos and DH just left for work. Hopefully, the kids will behave themselves and stay out from under foot so I can sit and wash dinner dishes and get some laundry folded.
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM
My mom did that standing up from the couch. It was a fracture and she had to wear one of those boots for a few weeks. Sounds like what you did.
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM
Broke my foot in December. Still hurts. Sorry for your pain
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM
I frequently roll my ankle. It's been several years, though, since I twisted it and it didn't hurt this bad before. At least the ibuprofen seems to be helping a little, since I'm not laying here crying anymore. Still hurts like hell, though, and the outside hurts when I touch it.

Quoting caustinb: My mom did that standing up from the couch. It was a fracture and she had to wear one of those boots for a few weeks. Sounds like what you did.
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM
Thanks.

Quoting eyes4ears: Broke my foot in December. Still hurts. Sorry for your pain
Donna.June
by Pigpen on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Oh, man. I'm sorry you're pain :(
3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM

well clearly you did something.. the pop was an indication. For what its worth I heard a pop in my knee when I went down wonky in a hockey game on the ice.. it took a few weeks of ice and elevation but I didnt tear or break anything. tearing there will be physical signs of coloration from the blood. 

Its not uncommon to break and ankle by rolling. Best wishes I hope to see an update. 

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:51 PM
I've sprained it before and heard the pop. A couple days and I was up and about again with it wrapped in an ace bandage. This is different. The pain circles my ankle and it hurts to touch the outside where it is swollen. I've noticed that I have very limited up and down motion before it hurts. There is no bruising yet.

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

well clearly you did something.. the pop was an indication. For what its worth I heard a pop in my knee when I went down wonky in a hockey game on the ice.. it took a few weeks of ice and elevation but I didnt tear or break anything. tearing there will be physical signs of coloration from the blood. 

Its not uncommon to break and ankle by rolling. Best wishes I hope to see an update. 

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM

You definetly need to have it evaluated IMO. Crutches and a walking boot are in your future. What a bummer! Im sorry this happen. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Even a bad sprain can be pesky. 

Quoting ncbirdie: I've sprained it before and heard the pop. A couple days and I was up and about again with it wrapped in an ace bandage. This is different. The pain circles my ankle and it hurts to touch the outside where it is swollen. I've noticed that I have very limited up and down motion before it hurts. There is no bruising yet.
Quoting 3gr8tKids:

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM
I just don't know if this is ER worthy. I'll probably call and find out what they suggest.

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

You definetly need to have it evaluated IMO. Crutches and a walking boot are in your future. What a bummer! Im sorry this happen. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Even a bad sprain can be pesky. 

Quoting ncbirdie: I've sprained it before and heard the pop. A couple days and I was up and about again with it wrapped in an ace bandage. This is different. The pain circles my ankle and it hurts to touch the outside where it is swollen. I've noticed that I have very limited up and down motion before it hurts. There is no bruising yet.

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I shattered my kneecap in sept. Im still rehabbing. Such a drag. My hobbies have all come to a screeching halt. Full recovery time for a broken bone is one yr. Good luck and hang in there!

Quoting eyes4ears: Broke my foot in December. Still hurts. Sorry for your pain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)