Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker debate

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:53 PM
  • 62 Replies

Poll

Question: Remove lid, or leave the lid on?

Options:

It's fine to remove the lid

Leave the lid alone and let it cook

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

My husband and I are having an ongoing debate. I'd like y'all's input.

HE thinks that it's perfectly fine to remove the lid of a crock pot and stir the contents several times during cooking (if we're home).

*I* remember hearing/reading that you put the ingredients in, put the lid on, turn it on and leave it alone until it's done. Something about every time you remove the lid and let the steam out, you kill some of the cooking mojo.

What do y'all think?

ETA: I'm not talking about cooking the whole time without the lid on. I'm talking about taking off the lid, stirring, replacing lid, and repeating several times during the cook time.

Thank you all for the responses. I will TRY not to let it bother me that he messes with the food while it's cooking (not gonna happen, but I'll try).

by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ferngully549
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I have always heard to leave the lid on. The whole point of it is to keep the lid on and let it cook in the steam that has been built up over the amount of time the food has been in there. That heat is what slow cooks it...letting it out could set it back a little ways and take a little longer.

kcangel63
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Nope. It supposedly adds 30 min each time you open it.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:56 PM
I stir and have never had a problem.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM

I voted "Other" because it depends what we are cooking. If I am cooking meat then I just leave it, but if I am cooking beans or soup then I will stir it throughout the day.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It can slow the cooking time, but some things need to be stirred occasionally. Also, the house smells better if you crack the lid ever few hours :)

Keara20
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of the recipes I have want you to stir. I've never had an issue. My crock pot cooks hot as fuck. Even on low, stuff that's supposed to take 6-8 hours, takes 3-4.
-OriginalPoster
by -NotOP on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM
I've never had a problem with stirring. If it's soups or whatever.

If it's a roast or pulled pork, I don't see a need to stir.
LawNOrderMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM
In my experience some crock pot recipes do need to be stirred from time to time while others should be left completely alone until the cooking time is done. If the recipe does not state explicitly to store it then it should be left alone.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Depends what's cooking. I stir soups and chili but leave meat alone.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 2:58 PM

As long as the lid isn't taken off and left off, I haven't had issue with stirring. In fact, I make sure to stir because my crock pot cooks hot and some things will have a little burning on them if I don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)