Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree with my mother's medical advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

DH and I were trying to have a baby and we finally got the +!!!  Then I lost my job and am in a transition period to get new benefits (I know, the assholes).  Anyway, I think its a blessing.  But the point is I will not have any obgyn for 30 days  

Ok, so I'm 6 weeks, and I have serious pregnancy brain.  I put my coffee pot in the fridge, accidentally drive around aimlessly forgetting where I'm going, ramble on or forget sentences, forget words, etc.  

My mom said to double up on my prenatal pils because the baby is zapping all of my nutrients and this is causing the fog.  

What are your thoughts about this?  Normally, I'd call my doc, but I can't for 30 days.  I've had another child 7 years ago.  While I'm grateful this pregnancy doesn't have extreme sickness (yet) I've never ever experienced anything like this.  I feel like I'm losing my mind.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cassiemeru
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM
I would go see a dr, even if it was out of pocket.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM

I did this morning.  All they would do is have me pee on a stick to confirm (duh I know I'm pregnant) and say ok wait 30 days!  Its ridiculous.  

Quoting Cassiemeru: I would go see a dr, even if it was out of pocket.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM
Lol! Pregnancy brain isn't caused by a nutritional deficiency but by hormonal changes.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM
Don't double up on them.

Eggs have choline in them which supports brain function, eat that instead.
SamMom912
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM
There is 15 to 40 times more progesterone and estrogen marinating the brain during pregnancy, And these hormones affect all kinds of neurons in the brain. By the time the woman delivers, there are huge surges of oxytocin that cause the uterus to contract and the body to produce milk -- and they also affect the brain circuits.
Pregnancy also shuffles what gets your attention. Your IQ doesn't change, but your priorities do.
Extra sleep will help with your focus, writing things down will help as well.
I don't think adding vitamins to your diet more then recommended is a good choice, imo.

Congrats!
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM
I would not take double vitamins. Some vitamins and minerals can be deadly when overdosed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:49 PM

No, you should not "double up" on vitamins without being tested and proven vitamin deficient. Also, I was 15 weeks at my first OB visit with my last baby. Take your vitamins, drink plenty of water, eat well. It's not necessary to rush right in to see a doctor.

KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:49 PM

I have never heard of doubling up on the prenatal vitamins. I would strongly recommend talking to a pharmacist before doing that.   Sometimes, even too much of a good thing, can be bad.

Congrats!!!!

CraftyMom2002
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Don't double up on them. If you can't see your dr you can always ask the pharmacist where you get your prenatal vitamins.
Cassiemeru
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 4:51 PM
Actually your symptoms sound like much more than pregnancy brain. I think if you told any Dr what you said here they would be running several tests on you.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I did this morning.  All they would do is have me pee on a stick to confirm (duh I know I'm pregnant) and say ok wait 30 days!  Its ridiculous.  

Quoting Cassiemeru: I would go see a dr, even if it was out of pocket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)