Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family vacation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

My husband has put in for vacation in July.  I was telling my mom about when it was and when we will be at our beach house and I was informed by her that I will be helping her out with the care of my nephew during our family vacation.  I kindly informed her back that I did not want to help take care of my nephew during our family vacation.  I want to spend time with my husband and kids.  

My SIL had back surgery and still can not fully care for my nephew.  My brother has gone back to work so now my mom has picked up the slack.  I just can not stand when I get told that I have to do something like that.  

I am the bad guy now.  Oh well.  This was just a vent.  

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reynab27
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:51 PM
You did right in doing so... after all its a vacation but at least offer to help some when you get back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I of course will.  I kept my nephew for a week right after her surgery and loved having him.  I just want time with my husband and kids.  His schedule has been crazy and we hardly see him so this time is precious and I feel it is important.  

Quoting reynab27: You did right in doing so... after all its a vacation but at least offer to help some when you get back.

reynab27
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM
Oh ok...
So why did you tell your mother about your vacation? Does she always go? Is this a whole family event?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I of course will.  I kept my nephew for a week right after her surgery and loved having him.  I just want time with my husband and kids.  His schedule has been crazy and we hardly see him so this time is precious and I feel it is important.  

Quoting reynab27: You did right in doing so... after all its a vacation but at least offer to help some when you get back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:00 PM

They need to hire a nanny.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:04 PM

My parents and brother and SIL live at the beach year round.  We own a condo that is a matter of two miles from their houses so my mom assumed since I would be down there that I would be at her place helping out with my nephew.  

Quoting reynab27: Oh ok... So why did you tell your mother about your vacation? Does she always go? Is this a whole family event?
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM

I told my brother the same thing.  My mom is over 70 and taking care of a 2 year old is wearing her down.  She tells me this on a daily basis.  

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I told my brother the same thing.  My mom is over 70 and taking care of a 2 year old is wearing her down.  She tells me this on a daily basis.  

Quoting Anonymous 2:

She can say no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I told her that also.  She feels bad for them.  

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

She can say no.

reynab27
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM
Lol yea um...enjoy your vaca hun sis inlaw needs to ask her family to pitch in as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My parents and brother and SIL live at the beach year round.  We own a condo that is a matter of two miles from their houses so my mom assumed since I would be down there that I would be at her place helping out with my nephew.  

Quoting reynab27: Oh ok...
So why did you tell your mother about your vacation? Does she always go? Is this a whole family event?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 7:13 PM
I would take the nephew for a few hours (or more) each day. If you have older kids, they can help play with him, etc.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting reynab27: Oh ok...

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)