Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher said not to teach her multiplication

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
Dd is in grade 2, she loves math and finds it a little to easy. Every week the teacher gives them a math problem to solve, this weeks was this

"Josh picked 10 apples on monday, 10 apples on Tuesday and 10 apples on thursday. How many apples will josh have to make apple sauce.

She has to draw out the problem (she drew 3 rows of 10 apples and added them up) and wrote 10+10+10=30.

I checked her work and then decided to show her another way to get the answer being 3x10 3 rows of 10, she caught on quickly and because she was proud she also wrote the alternate answer at the bottom of the page.

I got a note from her teacher today asking me not to teach her multiplication as the curriculum doesn't get to that until next year.

I can understand if she was behind and didn't quite get simple math yet but she's been doing simple math like this at home since kindergarten. Why wouldn't I teach her something more.

As a kid my teacher applauded my father for teaching me ahead as long as I understood the work. I don't get it
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:19 PM
I find it weird they are not doing multiplication yet. My son is in 1st and they are but are doing common core.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:20 PM
We do multiplication in 2nd grade.
TheMommyTaxi
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:26 PM

It's probably the "way" they teach it.  She doesn't want her to be confused by the terms that "we" use vs. what words they teach them now..(borrow/carry vs redistribute)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:28 PM
Screw the teacher. Dh learned ALL his multiplication facts in 1st grade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM
I know they don't use "redistribute" but either way, its just simple multiplication so there isn't any carrying or borrowing yet, although she understands it in addition

Quoting TheMommyTaxi:

It's probably the "way" they teach it.  She doesn't want her to be confused by the terms that "we" use vs. what words they teach them now..(borrow/carry vs redistribute)

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM

It could be that due to common core or curriculum that the school uses, they want to teach it to her their way. Years ago when my kids were starting kindergarten and already knew how to read a little, SIL was really surprised. She said that where she lived they wanted the kids to wait until they started kindergarten so everyone started in the same place.

ElvinCephalopod
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

because its common core, and if its not done THEIR way, its wrong - doesn't matter if you get the same answer the other way - doesn't even matter if you get the wrong answer by doing it their way - if you do it the way they teach, you are correct, if you do it any other way, you are wrong

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:34 PM
We start multiplication in 2nd grade here
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:36 PM

Those were the kinds of worksheets my daughter was getting this year and she just finished kinder. It had the same type of word problem, a place for a picture and under it the ____+_____=  and sometimes a number line. I hope by 2nd they are using something else to help with math.

WillowTreesMom
by Twilight Sparkle on Jun. 2, 2015 at 8:38 PM
This

Quoting ElvinCephalopod:

because its common core, and if its not done THEIR way, its wrong - doesn't matter if you get the same answer the other way - doesn't even matter if you get the wrong answer by doing it their way - if you do it the way they teach, you are correct, if you do it any other way, you are wrong

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)