Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a thing?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM
  • 51 Replies
Inviting a single person to a wedding without a plus one? I just read an article on Facebook about wedding etiquette and it said that you can only bring a date to a wedding if explicitly states plus one. I thought it was pretty rude to expect a guest to come alone but commenters said they sent out invites that way. Is this a common thing? It makes me a little nervous because I know my cousin is having a no kids wedding to save in the costs. I'm wondering if she will just invite me and not allow my boyfriend to come along (I'm divorced and he and I live separately but will be together for almost a year when the wedding comes along this fall).
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. It is a thing. Some people don't want to have strangers at their wedding. Some would rather have more of their friends instead of friend's dates.

I don't think it's a big deal. You can spend one afternoon without your bf, can't you?
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:38 PM
My dh was invited to a wedding for a coworker without a plus one. I never met the guy so I didn't care. There were other guys from his office and they just hung out together. It was invite 3 coworkers and their wives or 6 without a plus one.
mjhunter
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:40 PM
It would probably be all day and its 3 hours away. It would depend on the type of wedding I guess. If it's a full dinner and dancing, it seems wrong to exclude single people. For me its not a big deal because I'm older, have been married and would have family there but for some single people weddings are a painful reminder that they're still single. I'll have to wait and see the invite.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes. It is a thing. Some people don't want to have strangers at their wedding. Some would rather have more of their friends instead of friend's dates.

I don't think it's a big deal. You can spend one afternoon without your bf, can't you?
CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:46 PM
Are you unable to go to a wedding alone? Are you unable to spend a fun evening without your boyfriend?

I don't get why people HAVE to bring a guest, why is it a must?

Quoting mjhunter: Inviting a single person to a wedding without a plus one? I just read an article on Facebook about wedding etiquette and it said that you can only bring a date to a wedding if explicitly states plus one. I thought it was pretty rude to expect a guest to come alone but commenters said they sent out invites that way. Is this a common thing? It makes me a little nervous because I know my cousin is having a no kids wedding to save in the costs. I'm wondering if she will just invite me and not allow my boyfriend to come along (I'm divorced and he and I live separately but will be together for almost a year when the wedding comes along this fall).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Single people aren't excluded, you are invited. Excluded would be not inviting you bc you are single.

So take him with you, make it a weekend trip but go to the wedding alone. DH and I have done that. We were married and I wasn't invited, it happens to married people too.

Quoting mjhunter: It would probably be all day and its 3 hours away. It would depend on the type of wedding I guess. If it's a full dinner and dancing, it seems wrong to exclude single people. For me its not a big deal because I'm older, have been married and would have family there but for some single people weddings are a painful reminder that they're still single. I'll have to wait and see the invite.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes. It is a thing. Some people don't want to have strangers at their wedding. Some would rather have more of their friends instead of friend's dates.

mjhunter
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM
It's not that I'm unable to go along, but it is a long way to travel alone. It's also my weekend for my kids to be with their dad so that usually means date night with the boyfriend. I try not to have him around a lot with the kids because I feel like the kids and I need time without him. It may all be a mute point if she specifically invites him or gives me a plus one. I personally enjoy dancing with my date at weddings too.

Quoting CABZS: Are you unable to go to a wedding alone? Are you unable to spend a fun evening without your boyfriend?

Quoting mjhunter: Inviting a single person to a wedding without a plus one? I just read an article on Facebook about wedding etiquette and it said that you can only bring a date to a wedding if explicitly states plus one. I thought it was pretty rude to expect a guest to come alone but commenters said they sent out invites that way. Is this a common thing? It makes me a little nervous because I know my cousin is having a no kids wedding to save in the costs. I'm wondering if she will just invite me and not allow my boyfriend to come along (I'm divorced and he and I live separately but will be together for almost a year when the wedding comes along this fall).
AngelSinger
by MS Warrior on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM
Yes, it's a thing. I got a few such invites before I was married.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

It's been a thing for as long as I can remember ;) 

mjhunter
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM
Did you go to dinner alone?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Single people aren't excluded, you are invited. Excluded would be not inviting you bc you are single.

So take him with you, make it a weekend trip but go to the wedding alone. DH and I have done that. We were married and I wasn't invited, it happens to married people too.

Quoting mjhunter: It would probably be all day and its 3 hours away. It would depend on the type of wedding I guess. If it's a full dinner and dancing, it seems wrong to exclude single people. For me its not a big deal because I'm older, have been married and would have family there but for some single people weddings are a painful reminder that they're still single. I'll have to wait and see the invite.

CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM
Then freaking take him and spend the weekend out of town. I'm sure y'all can handle a few hours alone.

Nobody said you don't enjoy it, I enjoy dancing with my husband but can handle being without him for a bit.

Quoting mjhunter: It's not that I'm unable to go along, but it is a long way to travel alone. It's also my weekend for my kids to be with their dad so that usually means date night with the boyfriend. I try not to have him around a lot with the kids because I feel like the kids and I need time without him. It may all be a mute point if she specifically invites him or gives me a plus one. I personally enjoy dancing with my date at weddings too.

Quoting CABZS: Are you unable to go to a wedding alone? Are you unable to spend a fun evening without your boyfriend?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)