Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please tell me I'm not overreacting (animal lovers)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
I had my dog for 12 years. He's always lived at my mom's house. When I got him he was a couple of weeks old and I was a senior in high school. I always took full responsibility for him. I never moved far away (my parents have 2 houses on 1 lot and I rented 1 from them). I figured it would keep me close to my mom because she has a terminal condition and I would save money at the same time. The reason why I never moved my dog to my side is because the yard wasn't big enough. So he stayed in a side yard at my mom's house and things were fine. I paid for everything and cleaned the yard.

And then she had him euthanized without my consent and no real warnining not too long ago. I was devastated. I was a mess. My sister (28 still lives at home) was my best friend and comforted me. She was there for me.

My mom and dad said they weren't going to get any new dogs and no new pets were to move onto the property. That's fine. My dog's yard remained vacant. A constant reminder to me of what happened and where he lived all of those years.

Until today. Lately my sister has seemed really distant which is weird since we have such a close relationship. I just thought she was busy with work. Nope. They moved a dog into the yard that my dog lived in for 13 years.

I was blindsided. I feel so betrayed and hurt. What hurts the most is that she never told me. I UNDERSTAND she didn't need to ask me for permission but I can't help but feel hurt.

Maybe I'm being ridiculous, maybe this is my 'feeling entitled moment' but I can't stop crying and I don't know why.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lillibella
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry about your dog. However, you don't have a right to dictate what your parents do with their yard.
KnotFoo
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You're over reacting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry about your dog. Not trying to be harsh, but you might want to think about getting some distance from your family. You seem awfully entangled in their life - like daily.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I can understand what you're saying. All they had to do was tell you. It's ok to be hurt that your sis kept something from you that truly didn't need to be kept secret. You know it's not your yard to tell them what to do with but it's honestly just family respect to let you know a new family member is coming home. Why did they have to be so secretive about it?
woolftwo
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Why did she feel the need to euthanize?

If upset over that then NO you're not overreacting. If simply because of another dog being in the yard. Then yes, overreacting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:05 PM
I really DO understand I can't tell them what to do with their yard. I'm not insane.

But I'm hurt she didn't tell me she was going to put a dog there. Especially after how my dog was killed and she saw how much that hurt me. I wish I just had a heads up. If that makes sense????? It doesn't matter how I say it I doubt anyone will understand.

Quoting Lillibella: I'm sorry about your dog. However, you don't have a right to dictate what your parents do with their yard.
godsgirl26
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:07 PM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I can understand what you're saying. All they had to do was tell you. It's ok to be hurt that your sis kept something from you that truly didn't need to be kept secret. You know it's not your yard to tell them what to do with but it's honestly just family respect to let you know a new family member is coming home. Why did they have to be so secretive about it?
Chao
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
What reason did she give for putting the dog down?
AthenaRadhaGaia
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Why didnt they just tell you that the dog couldnt stay there why kill it?

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:11 PM

awe! I see why you are upset. Why was your doggie put down?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)