Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dreadlocks

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I  was just reading on another forum, these people were discussing dreadlocks, calling them for short (I guess) loc's. Anyway, they were saying for some groups of people, the hairstyle is part of a whole "lifestyle" or "spiritual lifestyle", and for some, part of a religious practice. And that there is praise/admiration for those dedicated to the rigorous commitment needed to attain very long loc's. I never knew this. Is this true? 

Does anyone here have knowledge or practice this? I'm very intrigued and would love to hear your story and experience with it.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM
No, but I think they can look awesome :)
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:32 PM
They are just a style. Anyone can get them and no one has to have them.

What ever happened to that one mom?.... Bubbie?
the_dude
by abides on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

that pic on the right is just braids, I have dreaded peoples hair throughout my years and have never known it to represent a belief system.

the_dude
by abides on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:33 PM

she's here, bubbs0809

Quoting dragonborn: They are just a style. Anyone can get them and no one has to have them. What ever happened to that one mom?.... Bubbie?

Episkey
by on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:34 PM
I knew that it's a religious thing for some, but I'm not sure what they signify. Here's a bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:34 PM
I had some. But my hair grows fast and couldn't keep up. I miss them though.
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Awesome. I always liked her.

Quoting the_dude:

she's here, bubbs0809

Quoting dragonborn: They are just a style. Anyone can get them and no one has to have them.

What ever happened to that one mom?.... Bubbie?

daissy224
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:35 PM

I never knew their was a religious stigma attached to dreadlocks. Curious now.

rfhsure
by beast mode on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM
It is a spiritual thing for Rastafarians and some other cultures. Mine aren't religious, personally. I like them because they're low maintenance, easy to style and fun to have. In some ways they're a lifestyle thing on the sense that getting them accompanied an overhaul in the way I treated and looked at my body. Beyond that I just like them is all
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Ya know, I thought that. But the caption under the picture said "white-girl dreads", whatever that means. I dont know, lol.

Quoting the_dude:

that pic on the right is just braids, I have dreaded peoples hair throughout my years and have never known it to represent a belief system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)