Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on my first week going from SAHM to Working Mom... It was awesome! EDITED

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this
ETA: I labeled my status in my title but I don't differentiate. We are all Queens. All moms. One is no better than another.

So, I am loving my new job! I don't remember if I told you that I am working with familiar faces, most notably my husband. It is niche engineering (based on the systems and tools used to design) so people tend to work with each other from company to company. So my first day was like walking into a family reunion. I was instantly at ease. My expertise is in data mgmt and technical writing, that is the same function whether it is aerospace (like now) or boats (what I did last). So my training is learning about jet engines now. It is all very cool.

I am having a hard time adjusting to nighttime responsibilities (house, dinner, kids, bed). DH and I are going to spend today brainstorming ideas for a system and chore chart. He is up for splitting work now that I am working. Usually I just do everything.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated!

One downside was that my cell doesn't work anywhere on the campus. No cafemom during the day! But I plan on switching to ATT. They have boosters so that network works. I miss everybody and the fun of this board already!
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:14 AM
B
livric
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM

so glad that you have had a good week  :)  Not sure about chores or routines as I am not sure of how many kids you have and their ages, obviously this impacts the routine lol  :)  anyway, great news  :)

jjames1990
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM
Congrats! I always did much better working than staying at home. You will find your groove!
witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:22 AM
Thanks! I have two kids, DS is 7 and DD is 6. I don't require much from them but I want to step that up. Is an allowance good for this age? I haven't a lot of patience - I tend to just do it myself instead of waiting for them to do it. That, of course, teaches them nothing so that has to change.

Quoting livric:

so glad that you have had a good week  :)  Not sure about chores or routines as I am not sure of how many kids you have and their ages, obviously this impacts the routine lol  :)  anyway, great news  :)

witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM
Thanks! I admit that I was not happy as a SAHM. And for the last couple of years I have been in a rut. We wanted me home until the youngest entered K. My spirit is feeling much better!

Quoting jjames1990: Congrats! I always did much better working than staying at home. You will find your groove!
jjames1990
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:25 AM
I define my usefulNess by work. It's not fair or right I'm sure but I do. Can't change that.

Quoting witzandglitz: Thanks! I admit that I was not happy as a SAHM. And for the last couple of years I have been in a rut. We wanted me home until the youngest entered K. My spirit is feeling much better!

Quoting jjames1990: Congrats! I always did much better working than staying at home. You will find your groove!
SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats on your new job! I haven't worked since being pregnant with my first. (6 years ago) I'm going to medical billing and coding school after the new year so I'm really looking forward to going back to work in the near future.
livric
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

hmmm well they can certainly help set the table for tea, pick up their toys, they can unpack a dishwasher if you have one.  they can also help you make lunches for the next day if you need to?  they can also get clothes organised and laid out for the morning.  :)   One can clear dishes and the other parent tend to the children getting them into bed.  not sure if any of that helps lol  just off the top of my head  :)

witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:33 AM
THANK YOU. I feel the same way. I was well established in my career before I had my first at 35. I was totally lost for a few years. I am only talking about me and my situation, not others, but I felt my value decreased. I excel at work. I am a shitty homemaker.

Quoting jjames1990: I define my usefulNess by work. It's not fair or right I'm sure but I do. Can't change that.

Quoting witzandglitz: Thanks! I admit that I was not happy as a SAHM. And for the last couple of years I have been in a rut. We wanted me home until the youngest entered K. My spirit is feeling much better!

witzandglitz
by Queen Lollipop on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Thanks! What a great idea it is getting your education and training while at home with your kids. You will be able to move right into a job when you are ready. Good luck!

Quoting SoInLove515: Congrats on your new job! I haven't worked since being pregnant with my first. (6 years ago) I'm going to medical billing and coding school after the new year so I'm really looking forward to going back to work in the near future.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)