Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making friends

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:58 AM
  • 11 Replies
I don't have many friends and the two good friends I do have are always busy and one lices over an hour away. Im a sahm and have no idea how to make new friends. My ds is 2.5 we have had a few play dates (don't know many ppp with kids) joined story time at the library, chatted with a few neighbors and ppl at park but still have not made friends. It was so much easier when you were a kid on the playground and you could go up to any kid and ask if they wanted to be your friend lol. I love being a sahm but I miss relating to other adults. Any suggestions? Will it get easier when ds is in school? To be honest I'm starting to feel as if there is something wrong with me...like am I socially awkward or something :(
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teresa5277
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Bump
teresa5277
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM
Bump
Coffee_in_Hand
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

awwwww mama, don't feel bad. What you need is like-minded people.  What are you into?
If you're into crafts find a crafting group.  If you like reading see if your library has a book club.

Are you into cooking? See if your local JC has a cooking class. It's about meeting people you have something in common with, besides being a mommy.

I always tell SAHMs to take a class though. It gets you out of the house, can be useful later, and you meet new people.   

MamaDukes4
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:02 AM

When I first moved to the neighborhood I am now, the only friends I really made were neighbors. Then when I had kids, it was hard to make friends who had kids. So i took my babies to mommy and me classes and weekly story time at the library and made friends there. Also, it was so much easier to make friends once my kids started school because I was seeing the same parents every day at drop off and pick up. 

geeez
by Baroness on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:03 AM
It got easier for me when my kids went ti school. I became friends with some really great moms
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:37 AM
I have the same problem. I work though but I work with mostly men and we are just friendly at work. I don't think they even hang out outside of work either.
My girls aren't in school yet so I'm hoping when they get there I'll meet some other cool moms.
blessed107
by Diamond Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM
I'm pretty easy to get along with, my friends are the girlfriends that I've had for 30+ years. I've met a couple more through my husband and his coworkers. We do group things because we have things in common. Maybe find someone that has the same interests that you have.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Meet.com
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM
I know a lot of other parents, I talk to them regularly and text message, but I don't hang out with anyone. I'm pta president so I spend a lot of time with the same people, they all hang out together outside of school, but I'm not a social person. I wouldn't consider any of them friends, just people I know. I've lived here 4 years and the closest thing I have to a friend is my eternal bachelor neighbor that comes over a few times a week to talk to something other than his dachshunds.
jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Take a class or something? I made friends in my workout classes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)