Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Punish For This?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

My 5yr old still wets the bed. Twice this week he has not put a pull up on at bed time even though he's been told to and has said he did. He's wet the bed both times. Not sure if we should punish for it or not because it's surrounding potty issues. It's part our fault for not checking before bed but at the same time he's lying to us saying he has one on and is old enough to know lying is not ok. What do you think? If you think it should be punished what would be appropriate?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I would punish for the lying and not following instruction.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:32 AM
No I would have him strip his bed help wash the sheets and remake the bed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM
I wouldn't punish him. He may want to go without his pullups. It's a process. Don't shame him about it, it may make if worse.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I wouldn't punish a kid for wetting the bed.  It's pretty common.  Try setting an alarm during the night to get him up to pee.  

The only punishment I would do would be to actually check to make sure he does have a pull up on.  

Laura1427
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Hm...I would punish for lying. Not for wetting the bed.

Missdameanor
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM
No, I would never punish a young child for wetting the bed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:36 AM
Not for wetting the bed. He would have to clean the mess and maybe another chore for lying tho.

Wetting the bed should never be punished for. I would make absolutely sure that he knew the punishment was for lying.
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:39 AM
I would punish for lying. Make it a point to check since he can't be trusted to follow instructions. I wet the bed until I was 18 and that was before pull ups. We tried everything you can imagine, nothing to drink after 6 pm, waking up twice a night for bathroom trips, alarm in my underwear etc. it finally stopped when I was 18 and moved in with my boyfriend. weird I know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM
Is your child developmentally behind?

No, kids wet the bed for various reasons, I doubt they are doing in on purpose.

Do you let him drink liquids before bed? Does he go potty at night? Is he scared to walk to the bathroom at night if he needs to go?

I wouldn't let them drink too much later at night, remind him to drink his liquids an hour or two before bed. Put night lights up in the bathroom and/or hallway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Yeah I'm not worried about the bed wetting my dh did it until he was 11 and I did it occasionally till 13 so I get he can't help it. But lying to our faces about having a pull up on it not ok.

Quoting hargonagain: I would punish for lying. Make it a point to check since he can't be trusted to follow instructions. I wet the bed until I was 18 and that was before pull ups. We tried everything you can imagine, nothing to drink after 6 pm, waking up twice a night for bathroom trips, alarm in my underwear etc. it finally stopped when I was 18 and moved in with my boyfriend. weird I know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)