Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Build a modular home

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
Had anyone done this? Bought a plot of land and built a pre fab home?

Wondering if cost is really much better than just a regular build.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents did. They already had the land with a house on it. They burned the old house down and put up a modular. It was cheaper than building a new home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM
Used to be doing out that way was the cheap route. But I wonder if it's much different now with land and building costs having risen.

Quoting Stephd710: My parents did. They already had the land with a house on it. They burned the old house down and put up a modular. It was cheaper than building a new home.
caito
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM

My parents did it way back when (like 28 years ago lol). My cousin did it about 10 years ago. I'd do it if I knew about that kind of stuff and was looking to buy. You can get some niceass prefabs now.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM
I looked into it because I work in construction and can do some things cheaper. After the cost of utility services to the plot, pouring the slab, and having someone deliver and set it up, I can get a better deal on a foreclosure.
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM
There's really not much to "build". It come in two or three pieces and you just place it on the land. If the land has to be purchased and bulldozed or whatever, yeah that can get expensive.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Used to be doing out that way was the cheap route. But I wonder if it's much different now with land and building costs having risen.

Quoting Stephd710: My parents did. They already had the land with a house on it. They burned the old house down and put up a modular. It was cheaper than building a new home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)