Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fair amount to charge family for babysitting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

A family member has asked me to start babysitting his newborn after his wife goes back to work. (They wanted LO to be with family if at all possible as opposed to daycare.) I currently do not have any children in my home, just a housewife. He's asked me to come up with an amount that I think is "fair" to be paid and I'm at a complete loss. We have a higher income than they do, though, and I almost feel like asking for anything at all is robbing them, considering I'm happy to do it to begin with. At the same time, I realize it isn't all going to be peaches and cream and it's a big commitment on my part and I do deserve to be paid for it. 

We live in a very low cost of living area and one of the poorest counties in the nation. (Average family income is 28K :/) Their combined income is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 - 50K. (I feel like these are relevant because I've seen posts about childcare being 1K+ per month for some people. That just isn't comparable here. At all.)

I realize this post is ridiculously long for such a simple question, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible to get the best answers. I don't want to offend them by suggesting too small of an amount and making it seem like charity work/I'm too good for their money or something like that, but I also don't want to go on the opposite end of the spectrum either. 

ETA: (Can't believe I forgot this) From what I've been told, it will be M - F, sometimes saturdays as well. Drop off around 9:30a, pick up around 6:30p, possibly less depending on the day. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RazzledRainbows
by Razzled&Frazzled on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM

How long a day and how many days a week? And for a newborn, correct?

PerfectRelapse
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM
Honestly since you've stated its not really the money if you must charge id say 15-20 a day.
star33
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:56 PM
I'd probably charge $10 a day. I was paying a non-family member $20 a day when mine was a baby. Another was $15.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM
I would say $75 - $100 a week since its family & you want to help.
I'm just going to hang out & read all the comments about how you should do it for free.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Quoting RazzledRainbows:

Can't believe I forgot to add that. Yes, a newborn. M - F, possibly saturday here and there. He is salaried and works a decent amount, she works 10a - 6p. When he is able to he will have the baby, but that could be very little. 

lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM
I'd say about $100 a week in your situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM
$100 a week.
RazzledRainbows
by Razzled&Frazzled on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM

If it wasn't family, I would charge $200. Daycare for a newborn is SO expensive, upwards of $400 a week. Since it IS family, I would charge $100. I think. . . Idk. I wouldn't do it, lol, but you sound like you don't mind.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting RazzledRainbows:

Can't believe I forgot to add that. Yes, a newborn. M - F, possibly saturday here and there. He is salaried and works a decent amount, she works 10a - 6p. When he is able to he will have the baby, but that could be very little. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:00 PM

$100-$150 a week. It will get old fast with those hours, especially if it ends up being a colic baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM
What is average for the area? Maybe cut that amount in half?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)