Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing schools 1month until start

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies
So we received letters in the mail yesterday for each of our kids. One going into second and one into K.
It basically states that their current school has not been improving for the last 2years by the No child Left Behind Act standards and that they are in level 3 of improvements.
They(the district I think?) are giving a waiver to send our children(not just ours) to the only other school in the district NOT currently in a "step of improvement".
We live in a fairly small area 4 public elementarys, one private catholic, 1 private non denom. One middle school and one highschool.

We are choosing to send them to the other school. It was our first choice but we are just slightly out of district. It's a school in the "nice" area with much better funding.
Our second grader is "above average" at his current school, not like super gifted snowflake, just above. I want for him to continue to be challenged and I don't think it's happening at his current school. We were not even allowed a parent teacher conferences this last year because the teacher had so many kids who needed it more than him, which is cool but it shows where he is going to be set aside for the kids who need all the help(not saying he should get it over them, it's just a fact).

Our goal has always been to move up to that area so this is that much more of a push!

Have you ever had to make this decision or been given the opportunity?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
smartmommy1050
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM
That's awesome!

My boys are entering kindergarten and second grade as well, and my older son is slightly advanced like yours. His old school didn't challenge him (his librarian refused to let him check out goosebumps books because "they're third grade reading level and [my son] is in first grade" - he never enjoyed his library books very much because they were too easy. The other thing I hated is his old school refused to acknowledge his food allergies, which led to him having more than one allergic reaction as he was bullied in the lunch room and peers would toss his allergens onto his lunch food he packed. His teacher would constantly give him foods with allergens as "rewards" claiming she "forgot" - my son knew better than to eat them but was always heartbroken he never got to eat anything he earned (this is AFTER I offered to send in treats for him!)

When I registered my boys in our new district I was given new hope because they seem very invested in the kids AND the school nurse called me personally about my son's allergies. She is getting me a list of ingredients of every food in the cafeteria so my son can get some hot lunch items when he wants (this was NEVER allowed at the old school; even though last year we qualified for the free lunch program he was told he needed to pack his lunch daily.) and she told me I can personally call her on days he wants hot lunch so she can make sure it's prepared separately. I soooooo hope this new school is as good as it seems!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)