Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is 20 months old and does not talk

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

My son just makes sounds. Is this normal? Or should I be worried? Once in a blue moon he will say mom or dad. He understands what I say completely. He has a sound for yes and no.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM

I guess I'd be a little worried if he only has 2 words. 

My daughter was a late talker... she only said maybe a dozen words at 2, but I wasn't terribly worried because she understood everything we said and could follow directions and such... she's almost 3 now and has nearly caught up, I think she is still a little behind her peers, but her language has exploded in the last several months.

Oliviasmom72
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Boys are generally almost always behind girls verbally. I would not be worried at 18 months. Wait untl he is at least 2 and see where he is at.

tbulone
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Keep working with him and asking him to say words instead of relying solely on the sounds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure you've had this conversation with your pediatrician.

stargaze281
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM

I am not sure, He probably will be a late talker. My son started saying words right after he turned 3 years old. When he turned 2, I had speech therapy done on him, just in case. He was developing just fine, it's just that he started speaking late.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
I'd mention it to the pediatrician and see what they had to say. I wouldn't be freaking out about it though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM

If he is making sounds and babbling and he does say mom and dad then he's probably just a late talker.  A lot of boys are late talkers.  All the boys in my family and extended family didn't start really talking until closer to 4-5 yrs old.  

mamalynnsmith
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
You can contact your local school to have him evaluated .my son was 2.5 years old when he started speech class at the school because his speech was delayed. Now at 15you would never know he had speech problems.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:31 PM
My son was that way. His first word was brachiosaurus. Then almost no sentences until he was 4. But then he started spitting out these complex sentences.

Some babies don't talk because you are meeting their needs without words. If he points to a cup, do you give it to him? Some need more encouragement to talk. Rather than hand him the cup, see if you can get him to say the word before you give it to him and don't accept his sounds for yes.
SamanthaSage
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM

Mine didn't start until after she was 2 and now she's 2 and a half and she loves talking. It seemed like she started when I started reading to her more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)