Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this behavior is strange?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
My SD Is nearly 8 and talks to herself all the time. Like literally all the time. She will carry on a two sided conversation with herself more often than not. She also has extreme anger issues. If she doesn't get what she wants, she will lash out and tell whomever she is mad at that she hates them and scream and cry. To me, the Anger part sounds like she is very lacking of discipline. DH disciplines her when she is here but I don't believe she gets much from her Mom. BM claims to have had her to a therapist and was apparently diagnosed with anxiety, then it changed to ADHD. Now ODD. She's been on a couple of different meds and Mom has now taken her off of the last one because she says it makes her cranky. Btw, she loves primarily with Mom 12 hours away and visits here in summer. TIA
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I have an 8 year old dd. To me that behavior is very odd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Her dad should offer to pay for a new psych eval
Laura1427
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:36 PM

That does seem very strange.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I would tell people that I talked to myself because that was the only way I could have an intelligent conversation!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM
I have children ages 15, 11, 9, and 4. None of them do this, nor have ever done this. I know all kids are different so I wanted some different input other than my own.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:40 PM
My sd went through adhd and odd diagnoses. Crock of crap, the whole business.

She lives with us now and is considered "neuro typical" and has no diagnoses. She's actually a very well behaved kid

The talking to herself I'm not sure about.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:47 PM

The talking to herself part isn't concerning to me...many normal, healthy people do that.  The anger and extreme emotional reaction is the problem.  It's not necessarily a lack of discipline.  It could be a problem w/ anxiety or something else or it could be the basic problem a young child has in her family situation (living w/ mom most of the time then living w/ dad during during the summer and having to change and adapt to different rules and a different home environment).  That doesn't mean that either environment is wrong or bad, but these things do affect children in many ways.  

Her dad should look into taking her to a Children's Psychologist.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM
She has actually done this for a very long time. Even when they were still together and living under the same roof. I didn't think to mention that previously.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

The talking to herself part isn't concerning to me...many normal, healthy people do that.  The anger and extreme emotional reaction is the problem.  It's not necessarily a lack of discipline.  It could be a problem w/ anxiety or something else or it could be the basic problem a young child has in her family situation (living w/ mom most of the time then living w/ dad during during the summer and having to change and adapt to different rules and a different home environment).  That doesn't mean that either environment is wrong or bad, but these things do affect children in many ways.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:03 AM
My Kid is eight and doesn't do this. She needs to be evaluated for mental issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 9, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Do you mean the behavior/anger issue or the talking to herself.  B/c the anger problem is definitely a problem and needs to be addressed or it will only continue and get worse.  The talking to herself thing isn't an issue unless she is having 'conversations' w/ people who aren't there but she believes are really conversing w/ her and she believes those people are truly 'answering' her or 'telling' her what to do...that's a problem.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: She has actually done this for a very long time. Even when they were still together and living under the same roof. I didn't think to mention that previously.
Quoting Anonymous 5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)