Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pain meds while breastfeeding

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Broke my hand, doctor prescribed Norco. Is it safe while breastfeeding? I picked it up an hour ago and forgot to ask. My dd is 17 months.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM
Bump
Cassiemeru
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:23 AM
Call your pharmacist, Dr, or a nurse line. If it's a pharmacy chain any 24 hour location can look up your profile if your regular pharmacy is already closed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:25 AM
Norco is passed through breastmilk so I would say no it isn't safe but you should check with her pedi or even better, a pharmacist.
I did find this -
"Summary of Use during Lactation

Maternal use of oral narcotics during breastfeeding can cause infant drowsiness, central nervous system depression and even death. Newborn infants seem to be particularly sensitive to the effects of even small dosages of narcotic analgesics. Once the mother's milk comes in, it is best to provide pain control with a nonnarcotic analgesic and limit maternal intake of oral hydrocodone to a few days at a maximum dosage of 30 mg daily with close infant monitoring. If the baby shows signs of increased sleepiness (more than usual), difficulty breastfeeding, breathing difficulties, or limpness, a physician should be contacted immediately".

Quoting Anonymous 1: Broke my hand, doctor prescribed Norco. Is it safe while breastfeeding? I picked it up an hour ago and forgot to ask. My dd is 17 months.
SleuthMaria
by Love a tomb. on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:29 AM
http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/med-risks/

You might find one of the , links here will help
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:29 AM
Call your pediatrician.
curvygurl1912
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:30 AM

Yes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)