Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

single mothers are bad parents

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I'm a single mother by choice, and no, I don't have multiple 'baby daddies', I don't receive welfare, I'm not a slut or a whore, and I do know how to use birth control.

Becoming a single mother was never really something I planned on. A good friend of mine, who was a teen mother, passed away from cancer. She asked me if I would adopt her daughter and raise her. I agreed. It went from there. I was approved through the state to adopt and from my case manager, I was introduced to a set of siblings that were in foster care, that I adopted. I did want to experience pregnancy at least once, so I got pregnant using donor sperm.
I'm a single mother of 4 children. I date, but haven't found anyone who is good enough for my children or me. I love my kids and I'm a kick ass mom.

I know it's not the norm, but sometimes, like today, those assumptions get to me just a little bit. If I seemed to be a bad parent, or if my kids were ill behaved or problem children, I might understand someone making those assumptions, but we aren't.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:55 AM

I know quite a few SMBC. One who like you has 4 children-all boys. It's not that uncommon. 

Cassiemeru
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:56 AM
Wrong c&p or something?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:57 AM
?????
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:58 AM
????

Quoting Anonymous 4: ?????
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 3:59 AM
I know of a few others, and they all deal with the same judgement I deal with.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I know quite a few SMBC. One who like you has 4 children-all boys. It's not that uncommon. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:03 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1: I know of a few others, and they all deal with the same judgement I deal with.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

Then move to a more progressive or expensive area. I live in CT and I  have never been judged for being a SMBC.  Some of the others I know live in CA and NY and Philly. None have felt any judgement.

Maybe it is because we are sucessful? Own our own hoes-anddon't necessarily share with EVERYone why we are single Moms?  Unless you choose to introduce yourself as a SMBC to EVERYONE-how the hell wuld they know you weren't widowed or divorced?

amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:31 AM
Seems like you had a bad day today. What happened? (If you don't mind sharing.)
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry people are rude, some just genuinely can't open their mind to the fact that as long as a child has love and is provided for, that is what makes a good parent. Not genetics or the number of parents, or how they became a family. Personally, I don't know how single parents do it, I would go crazy without my husband, but I guess that is why God gave me him to raise my family with. Some people can do it, but not I.
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM
I think it's great. Stand tall and don't let people get to you . You've done a good thing. Hugs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I love this, adoption and mixed/alternative families are close to my heart. My mom was also a single mother, and a very good one (still is!) 

You should like a strong woman and a loving mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)