Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grow the f*** up!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
I am beyond sick and tired of my stepdaughter's theatrics. She's 38, for one thing. For another, her father is dying and she cares more about getting her way than about spending time with him, or making his last few months more pleasant.

We've never gotten along and with each child I've had, she's gotten nastier and nastier. I'm pregnant right now, I'm due in January and there is no guarantee that my husband will live to see our son born.

We have a vacation planned to go to Disney world next month. My husband wants to take our daughter, she's 6 and absolutely loves all things Disney Princess. He wants to see her at Disney, and it's something we've talked about doing for years, but with babies coming, we just never did, we wanted to wait until they were older and could all enjoy it.

We invited my stepdaughter to go. At first, she said yes and said she was excited. Now, she's making a million demands, trying to change the date, trying to change the whole vacation. She wants to go to Key West. She wants her father to have his own room (no idea why). She doesn't want our little kids to come.

This vacation is NOT about her. She's a fucking adult and acting like a spoiled brat.

I told her that she needed to stop, if she wanted to go on a vacation alone with her father, she should plan that separately, but she wasn't going to take this from him and our daughter. She started yelling at me, that I was taking her father, that I had no business telling her anything, that I needed to mind my own brats and just leave her relationship with her father alone.

We've never gotten along, but I hoped and prayed she would at least behave appropriately now, rather than pile on to my husband's worries.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skanky_susie
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

that's sad, she sounds so toxic. One day she will remember this after he is gone. Poor guy. I am sorry he is sick. :( 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:08 AM
She is, but she's his daughter. She's a big sister, or should be, to my children.

I don't think so. She's so self-involved and self-centered, I doubt that will ever change.

Quoting skanky_susie:

that's sad, she sounds so toxic. One day she will remember this after he is gone. Poor guy. I am sorry he is sick. :( 

skanky_susie
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:10 AM

I understand. I can imagine she will not be any easier to deal with after your husband passes. congrats on the baby btw. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: She is, but she's his daughter. She's a big sister, or should be, to my children. I don't think so. She's so self-involved and self-centered, I doubt that will ever change.
Quoting skanky_susie:

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:10 AM

A leopard can't change her spots.  This is a difficult time for everyone.

She obviously has mental problems and issues she needs to work out.

What you might say is that she's going to lose her Dad soon and she might want to make his last days pleasent so she has good memories before he's taken. Maybe suggest going together to a therapist. Is her BM still alive? Are you much younger then she is?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:12 AM
I am sorry for all of this, sadly even bio sisters can be just as toxic. Hopefully one day she will look back and regret her behavior.
babyliz13
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:12 AM
That sucks, I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. Hopefully she'll come around and be able to enjoy the vacation in Disney land.
GirlWithANikon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Im sorry, how is DH dealing with her? That sounds really hard, guessing he doesn't want to cut contact since he has limited time but she sounds really toxic and bitter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM
We've talked about therapy before, she refuses. She doesn't see that she has any problems. It's not her fault, it's always mine, or her father's, or the freaking presidents fault, but never hers. She is perfectly innocent and totally blameless.

her bm died a few years ago.

I'm 8 years younger than she is.

Quoting DisabledVet:

A leopard can't change her spots.  This is a difficult time for everyone.

She obviously has mental problems and issues she needs to work out.

What you might say is that she's going to lose her Dad soon and she might want to make his last days pleasent so she has good memories before he's taken. Maybe suggest going together to a therapist. Is her BM still alive? Are you much younger then she is?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM
I doubt it. She hasn't changed her behavior in the years I've been married to her father, I doubt it'll change now. I'm hoping she ends up jus tnot going.

Quoting babyliz13: That sucks, I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. Hopefully she'll come around and be able to enjoy the vacation in Disney land.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:15 AM
A grown ass woman that old acting like that?

Are you guys (you and the SD close in age) it just seems weird to have that big of an age gap between siblings, so I'm guessing that dh is a bit older than you.
Maybe she's jealous of the new family you and dh have together.

Anyways, I hope that you ignore her demands and stick to your guns. I'm sorry for what your dh and family are going through.
I hope that you guys have a wonderful vacation, take lots of pics!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)