Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son has picked up a nasty habit. I need advice!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies
First off, my son is 6. He will be 7 soon. I am in the process of leaving an abusive marriage. My husband is not his bio father, but he has raised him since he was 2. Over all, it's a complicated situation.

He has picked up a habit of stealing. He takes everything he finds, or likes. This has been an issue for about 2 years. It is growing into a serious problem. I have taken everything he has away. Games, toys etc. He continues to take things that are not his, even money from me or small things in our home that he likes. I have done almost everything. I've gone to counseling, rewarded for good behavior and given him system where he can earn things he likes. Nothing has worked. I am worried and sad. Please offer kind advice, I know my situation could be the reason he's turned to this behavior. But, I am trying. :(
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Salut123
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Ask a professional, not this group.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:01 AM
I suggest counseling especially if he has witnessed the abuse.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:01 AM
5 moms liked this

Stop banging losers, for starters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I would schedule a meeting the juvenile cop in town so he can have a talk with your son about stealing and where people that steal end up
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:07 AM
I actually called the police, he had taken pencils from a teacher. They told me, he's only 6. The sergeant didn't approve them to come, they said that they're job wasn't to scare children. He has had a talk with the police officer on grounds at his school. :(

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would schedule a meeting the juvenile cop in town so he can have a talk with your son about stealing and where people that steal end up
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:10 AM
Would play therapy be a good option? We haven't tried that yet.

Quoting owl0210: I suggest counseling especially if he has witnessed the abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:11 AM
True. But sometimes you can find people with whom to relate to, who have dealt with this issue.

Quoting Salut123:

Ask a professional, not this group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Around five to seven years of age children develop a hazy notion of the wrongness of stealing. Also, by this age the child may become a more clever thief. Still his deterrent is more the fear of adult retaliation than an understanding of the immorality of stealing. 

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/parenting/discipline-behavior/morals-manners/stealing-8-ways-prevent-and-discipline-stealing

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:14 AM

What do you mean "I've gone to counseling"?  So you tried it a few times or you are still going?  He needs consistent therapy, probably family therapy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:20 AM
Wow!! This is great information. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so so much!!!

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Around five to seven years of age children develop a hazy notion of the wrongness of stealing. Also, by this age the child may become a more clever thief. Still his deterrent is more the fear of adult retaliation than an understanding of the immorality of stealing. 

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/parenting/discipline-behavior/morals-manners/stealing-8-ways-prevent-and-discipline-stealing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)