Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate having to be the bad guy

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM
  • 51 Replies
Dh decided to switch jobs and go 1099 meaning we are responsible for figuring out the darned taxes AND health insurance.

He was working with a company so he was offered cobra but it's almost 1700 a month to cover all of us.

So I looked on the exchange and found a plan that's about 1000 a month BUT that doesn't including covering his 21 year old daughter. If we included her the plan jumps to over 1500

This is something he and I spoke about a while back and he assured me if that was the case and cobra was too expensive we would pay half to get her her own policy and she/her mom/grandma would have to come up with the other half.

Now he's backtracking and telling me we need to pay the full amount.

Sooooo 500 for her
then their son wants to go to Europe on a class trip. That's another 250 a month for how long I'm not sure.
Then their daughter needs braces for cosmetic reasons and our share is 250 a month for 2 years I believe.

Don't forget we also have to come up with 1600 bucks (if the price hadn't jumped) to fly the kids down for the summer...we need to start saving for that as well.

We simply can't afford all of that. Period. Yes Dh makes decent money but we don't have a money tree in the back yard and we have bills and expenses as well and we can't do it all.

We've already argued once this morning about her health insurance. The girl is 21 and won't speak to her father unless shes asking for money.

I have to put my foot down, I'm the one that pays the bills and we simply can't pay more than is coming in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my3girls201410
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM
That's a tough situation to be in.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:05 AM
That's a ton of stuff to be trying to pay when you've got to be saving for taxes too. Have you tried writing it all down to show him in black & white?
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM
3 moms liked this
Wait, if she's 21 & doesn't have a lot of income, she should be able to apply for herself for health insurance & qualify for a subsidy. Hers should cost almost nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Thanks to the AFA you have to cover her under your insurance until she is 26, doesnt matter if she is an adult, has her own job, married, has kids... You have to pay for her insurance.   

Affordable care my A$$

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Tell him how much more a month he needs to earn. He can get a second job to balance the budget.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

umm you married a man who had children from a previous realationship, what did you expect to happen?

He wants to look after his children.. What a horrible man. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:12 AM
I wouldn't pay health insurance for a 21 year old....
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't think about that!!!!! I was just going by his income and we wouldn't qualify for a subsidy

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Wait, if she's 21 & doesn't have a lot of income, she should be able to apply for herself for health insurance & qualify for a subsidy. Hers should cost almost nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No we don't HAVE to. The Aca means a company can't drop her from her parents policy until she's 21

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Thanks to the AFA you have to cover her under your insurance until she is 26, doesnt matter if she is an adult, has her own job, married, has kids... You have to pay for her insurance.   

Affordable care my A$$

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
where did I say he can't support his kids. I'm all for supporting his kids but what's that old saying you can't squeeze blood from a turnip? We don't have the money for all of those expenses

Quoting Anonymous 2:

umm you married a man who had children from a previous realationship, what did you expect to happen?He wants to look after his children.. What a horrible man. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)