Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it right to take this away?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM
  • 29 Replies
So I have been having alot of issues with my son and his behavior. I have recently taken everything away from him. Leaving him with a bed so to speak oh and books. So anyway it has been about a week. I have seen steps to being better at home but I guess he has significantly been really bad in school this week. I already am taking steps to speak with his dr. and so on but here is my question........... Is it right for me to take him away from sports or after school activities?? I do have to pay for them though and they are ending soon so maybe I shouldn't just wondering what you all would do??? He is 6 just turned six this was his first sport ever and he has done well in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Does it work? Are those the things he likes? If so, then yes, I would take them away as punishment.

For my DS, he wouldn't care that much. But computer time? THAT'S a punishment!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM
My mom never had an issue taking away my extra curricular activities.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Depends on the sport. If it causes a problem for the team, ie doesn't leave them with enough players, it's not ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Absolutely
you do what you have to do...if those are activities that he enjoys and that would be a "punishment" for him then absolutely take them away..if he's misbehaving he has not earned the right to the activities he enjoys

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:14 AM

I don't think that taking away team sports/activities is a fair punishment. 

MagicalMary
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Thank you all for the opinions. I could honestly barely afford all this extra money going to these sports this month they have been expensive. One class he doesnt like much and his last class i paid for is next week so im forcing him to finish that up. Told him its not good toquit something right off you just wanted forever. He behavior here hasnt been perfect or very good. His soccer on the other hand he loves and has been doing good in. It only lasts a couple more weeks. No games and lots of kids so its not ruining the team but this one ws the most expensive one its like ughh. I know if he comes home and did bad in school again todya there is no way i am letting him go though.so i guess we will seee.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Don't take away activities.

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:17 AM
Are very clear on expected behavior? Not "don't do that" but "we walk inside the house".

Do you pay attention to only misbehavior? Remember, kids will do anything to get attention, even if they know it will end badly. Catch him doing good things, even if it's as simple. Tell him "i am so glad you closed the door gently. Thank you."

Ignore misbehavior by sending him into his bedroom. No lecture, no attention. He can come out when he's calm or your timer goes off.

I don't think I'd take away extracurriculars yet. He's got to have something to look forward to.
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM
Also, we had a rule that the kids had to pick only one sport/after school activity at a time. Overscheduling is stressful on both parents and kids. The kids need mud puddle and tree fort time!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM
If he is disrupting his classroom and therefore interfering with other students education you should take everything away if you have to. It is not right for him to interfere with other children's education. Just because he doesn't care doesn't mean the other children don't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)