Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CVS selling narcan/naloxone OTC

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Sorry if I've been beaten to this. But in a world where you can't get things like epi pens OTC, or have to put your name in a log with your address just to get cold meds. But you can buy an overdose antidote OTC. WTF WTF WTF.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/264440/cvs-addiction-opiate-overdose/

Full article in first reply.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM

National pharmacy chain CVS is taking a great step to help save the lives of those suffering from opiate addiction by announcing that they will offer the overdose reversal drug naloxone to patients without a prescription at stores in 14 states. As reported by Huffington Post, pharmacy boards in Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin have approved the sale of the drug over the counter.

Naloxone, or Narcan, reverses the effects of a heroin and many prescription painkiller overdoses by blocking opioid receptors. The drug is safe, nonaddictive, easy to administer, and was responsible for 26,463 overdose reversals between 1996 and 2014.

In a statement, CVS explicitly stated it made the decision in order to save lives, side-stepping potential politics surrounding whether the move constituted an endorsement of drug use.

“Over 44,000 people die from accidental drug overdoses every year in the United States and most of those deaths are from opioids, including controlled substance pain medication and illegal drugs such as heroin,” stated Tom Davis, vice president of pharmacy professional practices at CVS. “Naloxone is a safe and effective antidote to opioid overdoses and by providing access to this medication in our pharmacies without a prescription in more states, we can help save lives.”

CVS’s announcement couldn’t come at a more crucial time, when heroin use across the country has skyrocketed 63 percent in the past 11 years. Usage is most common among young adults who earn less than $20,000 a year and for whom health care is less accessible. And it’s unlikely that easier access to naloxone will cause an increase in opioid abuse. Aside from stopping the effects of an overdose, the drug also results in a “rapid and excruciating withdrawal.”

The pharmacy chain says it is looking into options to expand the non-prescription sale of the naloxone across all 50 states, and lawmakers are urging to FDA to take steps at the federal level to make access to the drug easier.

It’s nice to hear a story about a company acting compassionately when it comes to life-saving drugs, as opposed to…

[Huffington Post]

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM

If I had a loved one who had overdosed in the past, I would want to have one of these close by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:36 AM
I can't argue against this. Herion is a massive problem where I used to live. People are overdosing regularly. No addict is going to go to the doctor and ask for a prescription for narcon, but it can definitely save lives.
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Honestly I don't see the down side. Drug addiction is a nasty nasty disease and this prevents deaths so I can't find fault with cvs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM
I wish they had it in MD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM

I am worred that people are going to take on the mentality of "it's ok to use heroin now, they sell narcan at the store" I'm worried the amounts of people using is going to surge or they'll be more open/reckless about it in general. IDK.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I can't argue against this. Herion is a massive problem where I used to live. People are overdosing regularly. No addict is going to go to the doctor and ask for a prescription for narcon, but it can definitely save lives.

fightlikegirl.2
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM
This

Quoting Roxygurl: Honestly I don't see the down side. Drug addiction is a nasty nasty disease and this prevents deaths so I can't find fault with cvs.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM
I don't really know much about the drug. What would be the downside to offering it OTC?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM

And yet the manufactures jacked up the price of my asthma inhaler by $50 and I need a perscription.  For medicine I will die without.  But I can be a junkie and that shit to save my life easily.  Makes sense...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM
I don't think the average addict will run out and buy narcon. I assume that loved ones will buy it and keep it around in case of an overdose.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I am worred that people are going to take on the mentality of "it's ok to use heroin now, they sell narcan at the store" I'm worried the amounts of people using is going to surge or they'll be more open/reckless about it in general. IDK.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I can't argue against this. Herion is a massive problem where I used to live. People are overdosing regularly. No addict is going to go to the doctor and ask for a prescription for narcon, but it can definitely save lives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)