Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the "man bun"? It may cause him to go bald!

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
  • 78 Replies

Science Has Bad News for Guys With Man Buns

By Jon Levine | Yahoo

Man buns.

The style of men pulling their hair into a knot above or behind their head has taken male fashion by storm. While there’s no man bun institute offering official statistics, a casual stroll through any U.S. city or college town offers ample evidence for the trend.

While most of us probably know a relative, a friend, Jared Leto or someone else who sports the look, science has two words that should strike fear into the heart of anyone who has embraced the fashionable ‘do.

Traction alopecia. “It’s really, really common,” Jackson, Mississippi, dermatologist Sabra Sullivan told Mic. “I see it probably once or twice a week.” The condition, which causes acute baldness around the forehead and temples, is a direct result of hairstyles that pull the hair over long periods of time.

Read more here

Do you love or hate the "man bun"? Are you surprised the style may cause baldness?

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this
It's hot in a fictional way, like Opie on SOA. IRL the guy just looks silly. DS's BFF's dad has a man bun and I'm always internally laughing when I talk to him. He's definitely not Opie.
ChildOfTheLight
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM
8 moms liked this
How come women don't go bald from pulling their hair back?
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I hate the man bun.
RogoishMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM

my husbands man bun is really hot. But he doesn't wear it on top of his head like a top knot, it's in the back. I think the ones that look like a pineapple on top of the head look weird. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Women have been pulling their hair back for decades. We're not bald.

Cafe Steph
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM

We do, and black women are more susceptible...

http://www.hairsentinel.com/traction-alopecia.html

Quoting ChildOfTheLight: How come women don't go bald from pulling their hair back?

Cafe Steph
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Actually, millions of women do suffer from hair loss from wearing their hair in buns and ponytails. It's the same condition, traction alopecia, and can strike anyone of either gender.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Women have been pulling their hair back for decades. We're not bald.

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Thank God my man doesn't follow ridiculous trends.  

SilverSterling
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I wish that was an issue with my hair... I have been pulling it back tightly for 41yrs and it's still long, too thick and full. Personally I think there are other factors not listed involved with hair loss.. Like Genes and crap like that... 

As for the man bun it depends on the man... some look ok others like complete jack arses... 

Cafe Steph
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM

I didn't even really like it then, but Opie was hot, lol.

Quoting Danesmommy1: It's hot in a fictional way, like Opie on SOA. IRL the guy just looks silly. DS's BFF's dad has a man bun and I'm always internally laughing when I talk to him. He's definitely not Opie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)