Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child ask "WHY?" too often?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM
  • 11 Replies
My 4 year old asks "Why" after everything I say to her. The answer to why is obvious. I don't feel I should explain why we need to clean up the living room as I'm getting the mf'n vacuum out. How do I break her of this habit, shy of slapping her whenever she does it. Vent over.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Sweet
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this
My 3 year old is in this phase as well. I don't want to discourage her curiosity, so I answer the first time regardless, a second time if it is complex, and if she asks again, I ask her if she can tell me why. It depends whether your dd is just trying to figure things out, or if she thinks it's a game.
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM
When they ask why, I ask 'why do you think?'

He normally answers his own question, and I get asked 'why?' A lot less frequently.
StarLight23
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM

No, not too often. 

He will ask the same question a cuople of times and believe me, it's a test in patience for me!

PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM

My 3, almost 4 year old, DD does this.  Drives me batty.

If it's obvious, I make her answer her own question.  She does and then moves on to something else.  I swear, the child just likes to talk to hear herself speak half the time.

amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I like this answer. Good mommy skills!:)

Quoting Mrs_Sweet: My 3 year old is in this phase as well. I don't want to discourage her curiosity, so I answer the first time regardless, a second time if it is complex, and if she asks again, I ask her if she can tell me why. It depends whether your dd is just trying to figure things out, or if she thinks it's a game.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:14 PM
It's how they learn. As long as they're not being sarcastic or throwing a fit, I will answer "why" all day. Sometimes the answer is "because I said so" and they all know that that means that it's time to do what they were asked and stop asking questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Try to keep in mind that no matter how smart your 4 yr old is, she is still learning a lot of things everyday.  Asking 'why?' is a big part of the growing and learning process.  You're an adult and you're her mother. Obviously you know a lot more than your 4 yr old knows ; )  If your dd asks you 'why?' she has to do something or why something has to be done, the answer may be obvious to you, but it may not be obvious to a 4 yr old.  

When young kids ask 'why?', usually they are sincere.  Like Mrs_Sweet stated, the best way to deal w/ a young child who's asking 'why?' all the time is to answer the question simply at first then in more detail if the simple answer was not enough.  Then get the child to think for themselves about the reasons why certain things need to be done or how they are done.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:39 PM

No...my son is currently asking what things turn into
"What does water turn into" if you make it cold it turns into ice
"What does apple juice turn into" well after you drink it, it turns into pee
"What does food turn into" poop...your food turns into poop

balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM

My oldest was a "why"er. Every day, all day. Why? then why to the answer. He couldn't say cat, dog or his own name, but he could ask why. And while it drove us crazy, we never tried to break him of it, even when the answer was a "duh" to us. He is now nearly 18, and one of the smartest and most driven people I know.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM
I started asking "why?" Back.

Why do we have to clean up, mom?
Why do you think?
Because it's messy...

It helped, but it didn't stop for awhile still. It did make them think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)