Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My two year olds behavior

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
I am in my early 20s and I have one child he is 2. Me and his father are together but it's mainly me raising our son because he works alot. I know I "spoiled" him a little more then I should when he was a baby.. I don't really have no one to turn to for advice as I moved away from family and friends for my SO at 19 and I have lost my mom young and mother in law. My two yeAr old is always unhappy unless he is getting exactly what he wants when he wants it. If he's not getting his way, he throws, screams, hits, cries for at least 10 minutes. What do I do to stop this behavior. He also sleeps with me still and wakes up 2 to 4 times a night crying unless I give him more to drink. Please help me for me and his sanity and to make him happier.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM
Stop spoiling him and ignore the tantrums. This is your fault
curvygurl1912
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Go to positiveparenting.com and google gentle parenting. You cannot spoil an infant and you just need to learn some parenting techniques. People will run in here and tell you to spank him, please don't do that.

Amybelle
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM

contact your local Social Services and get some Parenting Classes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Welll.. that is typical toddler behavior. You need to be consistent with discipline. If my daughter (same age by the way) hits, throws or screams at me depending on the crime it's an automatic time out or the object taken away. Sleeping is developmental. Give him some water if he is waking up. My daughter wakes me up in the middle of the night saying she is hungry sometimes. I actually get up and feed her. He could be going through a growth spurt or getting 2nd year molars if he is waking up during the night. 

amber710
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You sound like my SIL. It is because she spoils her kid and doesn't actually take the advice we all give her. I hope that you are serious about changing, because I am sure these ladies will have some effective ideas and you are not doing your kid any favors by making him unpleasant.

Pick a few key ideas that sound helpful and STICK TO THEM. Consistancy is how kids learn. It may take weeks or months for a new method to start sinking in. It has to become the routine and expected. 

A parenting class or parenting counselor is not a bad idea. I did that when my DD was 2, because she was my first and I was a young/teen mom who just wanted to gain new skills. It really can help. Many times you can find one that is free or is covered by insurance. If you don't mind telling me your area, I would be happy to help you find somewhere near you that offers classes. I took one through the local parenting center and one through a local church. Both free. 

I love  "Parenting with Love & Logic". The book is worth spending a few bucks on (https://www.loveandlogic.com/).

And Dr.Phil's  advice is great. Just go to Dr.Phil.com and he has a whole tab on parenting. 

Mrsjohnson14
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Why? She came here genuinely asking for help and advice and, true to cm style, the very first response just has to be rude.

Op I second the suggesting about looking into positive parenting and gentle discipline.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Stop spoiling him and ignore the tantrums. This is your fault
sam12796
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Two year olds can be this way. Ignore the tantrums. Walk into another room. If he hits grab his hands and hold them for a minute and tell him no hitting. End all fun on the spot if he shows negative behavior. Praise him when he is behaving or doing as asked. You can also set up a reward chart for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM
I am serious about advice. All I'm doing is asking for advice from other moms since like I said the two women I would ask for advice are gone now. We do time outs but sometimes I feel nothing is working. I don't "let him get away with it" when he is throwing his tantrums. And he has never slept through the night so I know it's not a growth spurt or molars.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Quoting Mrsjohnson14: Why? She came here genuinely asking for help and advice and, true to cm style, the very first response just has to be rude.

Op I second the suggesting about looking into positive parenting and gentle discipline.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Stop spoiling him and ignore the tantrums. This is your fault
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Hate to tell you but my son is also 2 and I'm pretty sure it's a terrible 2s thing. They are just a pita sometimes. I don't think he is not normal. You just have to stay firm when you say no and walk away. You can't give in. Redirect when you can.
They can smell weakness and fear and will suck the life out of you like vampires.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)