Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's no wonder she's struggling in math.

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter has been coming home frustrated because of math. She said it was too hard for her and the teacher was moving on to the next lesson before she learned the previous one. She was sure everyone else understood it except her. So I sent a letter expressing my concerns to her teacher. Her teacher sent me an email last night. It turns out that pretty much all of fifth grade is having trouble in math. No surprise,considering they are teaching them math that before this year was taught in 6th grade. What sense does that make? They just skip right from 4th grade to 6th grade? Never mind 5th grade math.

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM
So help your daughter catch up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:42 PM
They really need to go to a mastery based system.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Well that sucks! You are going to have to help her with the 5 grade bridge.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous 1: So help your daughter catch up.

How is mom going to "help her catch up" when she is missing an entire year of the basics? Concepts can be taught of course but this is a year of missing information. 

CBMMOM
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Quoting sheramom4:

How is mom going to "help her catch up" when she is missing an entire year of the basics? Concepts can be taught of course but this is a year of missing information. 

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting sheramom4:

You can try Adaptedmind.com math, IXL, or Kahn Academy to help her along. Adaptedmind is probably the best one when information is missing and kids are struggling. It won't get her completely caught up but they are short lessons on certain concepts so you could look at what she is learning and find the step down. 

I feel your frustration. My youngest is in 6th grade this year and would have no idea how to handle math if she hadn't learned the basics last year. 

slw123
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Are you in FL?  That's what's happening here because the standards changed.  So my son is in 5th grade trying to catch up and learn in very little time.  It's very frustrating.  Mix that up with Common Core and I have no idea how to help him.

CBMMOM
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Thanks. I've never heard of Kahn Academy,but we'll look into it. The other two have accounts with.I guess that's what we will do,especially if the school doesn't revise their plans.  At the beginning of the year they said they were trying out different teaching methods and ideas. Maybe they'll realize skipping an entire year of math education was one of the bad ideas.

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting sheramom4:

You can try Adaptedmind.com math, IXL, or Kahn Academy to help her along. Adaptedmind is probably the best one when information is missing and kids are struggling. It won't get her completely caught up but they are short lessons on certain concepts so you could look at what she is learning and find the step down. 

I feel your frustration. My youngest is in 6th grade this year and would have no idea how to handle math if she hadn't learned the basics last year. 

drowningmama
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM
This is my 5th grader.

I'm in MD.

Quoting slw123:

Are you in FL?  That's what's happening here because the standards changed.  So my son is in 5th grade trying to catch up and learn in very little time.  It's very frustrating.  Mix that up with Common Core and I have no idea how to help him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CBMMOM:

Thanks. I've never heard of Kahn Academy,but we'll look into it. The other two have accounts with.I guess that's what we will do,especially if the school doesn't revise their plans.  At the beginning of the year they said they were trying out different teaching methods and ideas. Maybe they'll realize skipping an entire year of math education was one of the bad ideas.

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting CBMMOM:

Quoting sheramom4:

I spelled it wrong...it's Khan. They have everything and it's usually free. My husband uses it for coding tutorials. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)