Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GoFundMe for a non-mandatory school field trip? Tacky?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

My neighbor created a GoFundMe for her 11 year old daughter to raise moeny for her to attend an extra-curricular activity's overnight trip to California in March.  She has to raise $400. It's not mandatory that she goes on the trip.

I know that it's a lot of money and her family really can't afford it, but GoFundMe seems like the lazy way out of figuring out how to pay for it.

My son went on the same field trip last year, it was a stretch for us to come up with the money as well.  We made up the difference by having a yard sale and I sold my "famous" fudge to neighbors at Christmastime. 

What do you think?  Yes, GoFundMe is a good idea or No, it's tacky and lazy.

PS she has only raised $25 in two weeks and it came from her grandma. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VickyJoJo
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Tacky.  Many schools have options for funding these trips for those who can't afford it.  Did they check that out.  Regardless, they should be earning the money themselves rather than expecting someone else to foot the bill.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM

meh...not something that I would do

but it's there for a reason so whatever 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM

I've only seen one GoFundMe ever that I felt was a worthy cause and I paid the entire amount myself (anonymously of course).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:53 PM
Go fund me is supposed to be for people to pay rent, medical expenses, etc. She should apply for a scholarship through the school. We had to do that last year when there were too many expenses at the end of the school year as my husband is disabled and we just couldn't do it.
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this
So? Don't like it, don't donate to it. People have "GoFundMe's" for all kinds of crap. Nothing I would ever do but whatever.

If they get enough dumb people to donate, good for them.
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care if someone goes that route or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Kind of tacky. I remember a school field trip I wanted to go on. I worked after school at the concession stands for games, helping teachers make copies in the office, working in the library etc to make enough to afford to go. 

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Doesn't bother me, but I highly doubt it's something I would donate to. Maybe they're trying other things as well, or are you sure that's all they're doing?

Mom2Jake08
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:59 PM
GoFundMe for rent? That's tacky, too. The only ones I've ever thought were semi-okay were medical bills.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Go fund me is supposed to be for people to pay rent, medical expenses, etc. She should apply for a scholarship through the school. We had to do that last year when there were too many expenses at the end of the school year as my husband is disabled and we just couldn't do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM

It seems frivolous to me since the dd is 11 yrs old.  When her dd is older, there will be more significant trips and experiencing for her.  But at the same time, I would have been thrilled to have a GoFundMe fundraiser when I was a Senior in H.S.  My family was poor and I was one of only a handful of students who got left out of the Senior Trip b/c my parents couldn't afford to pay for it ($1,000). 

And those school fundraisers are pathetic.  At the time that I participated in those fundraisers at school, I could sell $300 worth of merchandise and only get $25 worth of credit 'in prizes'.  Pft, give me a break!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)