Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone know anything about a sewage treatment plant alarm?

Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

My landlord is having a hell of a time right now.  The tenant before us did all kinds of damage.  She kind of fussed me this morning for the grease that was found when she had the tank pumped out this morning but the guy said there's no way that was us because it was wayy down in the tank.  And we don't use grease anyway.

The tenant had ruined the carpets, didn't pay rent for two months and just a bunch of reall jerk things.  He unplugged the pump for one, and unplugged the alarm.  We ended up with a stinky puddle in the yard. 

After it was pumped out we had to run water for 2 hours so the tank would fill enough so it wouldn't pop out of the ground (south louisiana).  After that, I tried to plug the alarm back in but it's till buzzing.  My dad said it'll buzz until the water level is back where it should be.  It's been all day, showers and laundry and dishes that I would think would be enough to fill the tank where it should be.

Is there a way to reset this alarm, is that something I need to do?  I hate to call my landlord about this because the poor woman is taking care of her invalid father and has a lot of other stuff going on, and she's stressed out about the house from the crap the previous tenant did. 

Any help ladies?  How can I reset this alarm so I can plug it back in without it buzzing?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:56 PM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM
No idea I would call the landlord or tank guy. I would also be questioning the water bill, that's a lot of water.
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM

9-14 Q SECTION 9: Pumping Systems What is the friction loss generated by liquid flowing at 32 gpm through 100 feet of 1 1/2- inch Schedule 40 PVC, assuming C=130? Friction loss (ft) = 10.46 x 100 x [(32/130)1.852] / (1.54.871) = 1046 x (.2461.855) / 7.21 = 1046 x .075/7.21 = 10.9 ft of friction loss Sensors for Pumps Sensor is the general term used for all the different devices used to sense water levels in the tank and activate the pump, including ultrasonic sensors, or using sound to measure depth. Another option is pressure sensors, which use the pressure created by the depth of water to determine the depth. These pressure sensors are valuable since they can read out the actual depths. However, the most commonly used and simple device is a float. Control switches (floats) sense the water level in the pump tank and signal the pump or alarm system. A failure of the control switches can cause sewage to back up into the home or come out the top of the pump tank. Some switches provide power to the pump directly, while others require a relay. Mechanical switches or floats encased in a plastic or neoprene are recommended. They are simple and reliable. In some designs, the system uses a single float to operate the pump. In other designs, two floats are used to operate the pump. In two float situations, one switch turns the pump on and a second switch is placed below it to turn the pump off. A third switch is used to activate an alarm if the effluent level exceeds the storage capacity. The distance needed between the on and off switches for a given dose volume depends on the size and shape of the pump tank. Pump Controls The cables that connect to the pump control switch, alarm switch, and pump all originate from the pump and alarm control. The control should either be placed inside a nearby building or inside a weatherproof box on a post near the entrance port to the pump tank. Never place the control system inside the pump tank or riser. The moisture in the pump tank will cause the system to corrode and fail. The preferred location for the control and alarm center is indoors, such as in a basement or garage. Conventional indoor wiring material may be used. Order pump and controls with extra-long cables. When a nearby building is not available, locate the control center in a weatherproof enclosure mounted to a treated wood or steel post near the pump tank. In either case, it is important to use wire, connectors, and weatherproof enclosures appropriate for outdoor use. A pump motor relay with built-in motor overcurrent protection can be used. The pump motor start and stop switches control the relay coil current. Conduit is used for physical protection of the conductors and cables entering and leaving the box. A pump motor controlled by the mercury switches and relay built into a plug-in type unit is another option. Overcurrent protection for the motor is supplied by the groundfault circuit interrupter (GFCI)/circuit breaker combination in a weatherproof enclosure. National Electric Code requirements state that all outdoor outlets of a residence must be GFCI-protected. The GFCI-protected receptacle for the pump power and control cir- SECTION 9: Pumping Systems Q 9-15 cuit should be enclosed in a watertight box. Another alternative is to use a receptacle with built-in GFCI protection and a standard circuit breaker. In either configuration, the alarm system is powered from a separate circuit breaker to prevent tripping the alarm circuit when the pump circuit is tripped. Schematics and additional discussion about pump controls can be found above Figure 9.16. Alarm An ISTS with a pump must employ an alarm device to warn of failure. Alarm device is defined as a device that alerts a system operator or system owner of a component’s status using a visual or audible device; an alarm device can be either on site or remotely located (MN Rules Chapter 7080.1100, Subp. 4). An alarm float should be located on an electrical circuit separate from the pump to alert the homeowner in case of electrical failure in the pump circuit. The alarm float should be set to activate approximately three inches higher than the pump start level. It is recommended that the alarm mechanism should be both visible and audible, and located where it can be easily seen and heard. The reserve capacity of the tank is the remaining volume after the alarm sounds. This volume can then be recorded and allows the owner a time period within which the maintainer must come to correct the issue causing the alarm to sound. The alarm system must be powered in such a way that if the pump circuit fails, the alarm will still operate. Provide a means to turn off the alarm without losing power to the pump. Dual Pumps All MSTS Systems must have multiple pumps according to MN Rules Chapter 7081.0260 (B) where it specified that the dosing system must include an alternating two-pump system and have a minimum total capacity of 50 percent of the design flow. For two or more residences that have a common soil treatment unit, for collector system pump tanks, or for an establishment that deals with the public such as a restaurant or motel, dual alternating pumps are recommended. The pump size may be similar to that used for a single residence, but a control is required to operate the pumps on alternate cycles. The pump control mechanism also has an alarm device in case one pump fails to operate when called upon. A dual pump configuration is shown in Figure 9.9. If liquid flows into the pumping tank faster than one pump can handle, both pumps should operate. If one pump fails, an alarm will sound, and the other pump will continue in service until repairs can be made. Note that an alarm device must also be installed on a separate electrical circuit, so that if a power failure occurs in the pump circuit, and the alarm on the pump control mechanism does not operate, an alarm still will sound.

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:01 PM

We don't pay water, thankfully.  My landlord has been great to us.  I don't get why the previous tenant was such an ass.  He only paid 1 month worth of rent and had cats with no cat boxes on brand new carpet.

Quoting Cassiemeru: No idea I would call the landlord or tank guy. I would also be questioning the water bill, that's a lot of water.

by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Disregard that long ass reply

When Your Sump Pump Alarm Goes Off, Here’s What to Do

Before you experience a problem with your sump pump, it’s helpful to know how to handle the situation. Before you call a Marietta plumbing professional for help, taking the time to learn how to respond when the sump pump alarm goes off could aid you in preventing damage to the pump and water damage to your basement. And you might even save a few dollars, too.

Responding to an Emergency

Pumps can have two kinds of alarms: a high-water alarm and a low-water alarm. First, you’ll need to know if your system has a high-water alarm. If it does, and that’s the alarm going off, you’re in good shape. The high-water alarm is designed to be an early-warning system. It’s not likely that you’ll be facing water in the basement yet, but it should be a cause for concern. Basically, when this alarm sounds, it’s telling you that there’s a problem with the pump that needs to be addressed right away. You can troubleshoot the pump using the steps below or monitor the system, waiting to see if the other alarm sounds before getting help.

If your system doesn’t have a high-water alarm and the low-water alarm sounds, you should spring into action. Here’s how to troubleshoot the system:

• Check the power. If the power has shut off and you can turn it back on, go to the circuit breaker board and flip the switch to the pump a few times.
  • If the system is powered up, check the basin’s water level. Are the sensors (usually located at the top of the pump) wet from a malfunction? Can you dry them off? If it’s raining hard in your area, the basin might be filling up, but it could be a question of whether the pump can keep up with the water.
  • Assess the situation. Sometimes, the alarm may go off simply because the pump is working hard to drain the water during high-peak usage (if it’s raining, for example). Otherwise, you may want to call a plumber to the scene to make sure that the pump can keep up with demand, and to avoid a flooded basement.

Your sump pump plays a vital role in the health of your home. Don’t play it safe when the alarm sounds. Walk through these troubleshooting steps, and if the scenario warrants it, contact a pro for help. The experts at Casteel Heating, Cooling and Plumbing are happy to help with pump diagnoses, maintenance and repair, or any other home plumbing problem.

by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:12 PM

Thanks.  I'll see what I can do in the morning.  I would hate to have to call her again.

by kid crack dealer on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:14 PM
It's a high level alarm. Are the sprinklers not coming on?
by boxerdog lover on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:18 PM

i have no clue here is a bump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)