Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong for a mom to

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
Read parenting books? I rented a few of them from my schools library, and I'm eager to learn some new strategies and tips. Did you find that parenting books helped you? Or do you feel their pointless ?
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
curvygurl1912
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Learning is always a good thing, there is no such thing as too much knowledge. 

LilyRuiz213
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I dont have many friends so I spend the bit of free time I have reading. Each time i get a new book i get so excited :)

Quoting curvygurl1912:

curvygurl1912
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:02 PM

I love to read too ;-)

Quoting LilyRuiz213: I agree. I dont have many friends so I spend the bit of free time I have reading. Each time i get a new book i get so excited :)
Quoting curvygurl1912:

SSwtP
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Definitely do what works for you.  I love to read online advice and articles.  Emails come in on a weekly basis from the hospital we delivered at, Mom365, and I think Parents.  And also, ahem, certain forums on Cafemom.  It is nice to see what other moms do, I have learned a bit from reading mom stuff. 

markswife03
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:04 PM
Yes! Very very wrong!!! Hahaha

When I think of the people who read those books, I picture first time moms. I read them all the time when my first was little. I think all the conflicting information and the guilt that resulted when I did the 'wrong' thing made me a little nuts.

Now I have 4 kids and can see how little the things I worried about even mattered. It's rare that I read a parenting book these days. I just do what comes naturally.

LilyRuiz213
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:06 PM
You hit the nail on the head! I'm a first time mom. Sometimes it seems like I'm doing everything wrong. When i get overwhelmed I feel like im doing wrong. I tried the naturally thing...its like its not kicking in all the way :(

Quoting markswife03: Yes! Very very wrong!!! Hahaha

When I think of the people who read those books, I picture first time moms. I read them all the time when my first was little. I think all the conflicting information and the guilt that resulted when I did the 'wrong' thing made me a little nuts.

Now I have 4 kids and can see how little the things I worried about even mattered. It's rare that I read a parenting book these days. I just do what comes naturally.

LilyRuiz213
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I read articles online too :) some are very good. I get parents magazine too. Ive learned a lot

Quoting SSwtP:

Definitely do what works for you.  I love to read online advice and articles.  Emails come in on a weekly basis from the hospital we delivered at, Mom365, and I think Parents.  And also, ahem, certain forums on Cafemom.  It is nice to see what other moms do, I have learned a bit from reading mom stuff. 

Rigby229
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:07 PM
I have a couple that are useful and they're all older books. Many I found pointless..after awhile they just repeat the same thing or they contradict each other. I stopped reading them.
LilyRuiz213
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM
I just started reading my first one. I do anticipate the repetition though :(

Quoting Rigby229: I have a couple that are useful and they're all older books. Many I found pointless..after awhile they just repeat the same thing or they contradict each other. I stopped reading them.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM

There is nothing wrong at all in learning/reading about new info or tips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)