Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you buy a lot of Christmas presents for your children?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:07 AM
  • 205 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am talking about... 3+ presents per child. 

I am not a religious person. I do believe in God but I won't go to church or consider myself a Christian. I would rather talk to Him while I run in the morning or when I can't sleep at night. Anyhow, to me Christmas is a special occasion to celebrate love; love for my family, my friends and all the other people. So, our kids would receive 2-3 presents (usually something valuable and useful and a toy, or books) and small attentions for my husband and I. 

We like to spend the Christmas day with our kids enjoying the calm and time spent together.

Why... do you buy lots of presents? I understand that you can afford them (I can, too) but... is buying many and expensive presents a way to show your love? Do you really think that Jesus would want you to do so on His birthday?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by 200 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:10 AM
16 moms liked this

I buy them a ton of presents because that is what I want to do. They are good kids and deserve everything they get. DD18 gets more because her birthday is around Xmas. 

I don't really care what "jesus" thinks.......its MY fucking Money to do with as I damn well please. Besides I already have reserved suite in hell, LMAOOOOO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 10 gifts in my amazon cart for my son. The total is $126 so that doesn't seem like over kill to me. My daughter will likely get fewer things because what she likes is more expensive. We are atheists so it is all about love and family for us.
bcoll
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:11 AM
4 moms liked this
We buy a lot of presents. It's what our parents did and what we do. We are close knit and spend great quality time together. (All year long)
I'm religious and quite frankly I don't believe Jesus cares how many presents I buy them.
crumpy_gat
by No. on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I go overboard. Not all expensive though, I'll get books from the dollar store
crumpy_gat
by No. on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
He's judging you Brandi.... Always judging

Quoting bcoll: We buy a lot of presents. It's what our parents did and what we do. We are close knit and spend great quality time together. (All year long)
I'm religious and quite frankly I don't believe Jesus cares how many presents I buy them.
DreamJoyHope_R
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:14 AM
We buy a lot of presents for our kids. We aren't religious, Christmas is a time to be with family and about love and presents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:14 AM
On something more substantial I hope. Lol
How are you mama?

Quoting crumpy_gat: He's judging you Brandi.... Always judging

Quoting bcoll: We buy a lot of presents. It's what our parents did and what we do. We are close knit and spend great quality time together. (All year long)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  I do probably buy them too much.  One reason is that my oldest is intellectually disabled and autistic, and shopping for him is difficult.  When I manage to find something for him that I think he will love, I buy it.  My youngest is beginning to get to the point where he is asking for specific things--things that have a higher price tag.  So while I don't buy him as many things as my oldest, the things he gets cost more.

As far as Jesus is concerned, I don't really care about what he may or may not think.  To me, Christmas is the spirit  of giving to others.  We make sure that we give to charities--food for the local food banks and things that are needed at our favorite animal rescue shelter.  We adopt a family through our jobs and make sure that the kids in other families don't go without.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:14 AM
Yes when my kids were younger we did the whole 20 plus presents each under the tree,hey they are my only kids,now that they are older and the items in there lists get more expensive,tablets,iphones,computers,cameras etc they get 1 or 2 items,this year one wants a new scooter,razor light up scootet,1 wants robux for a computer game called roblox,besides that they will get one other thing plus we also celebrate Hanukkah...
Char-Bear
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I buy a lot of presents. I do it because I want to and I can. I don't believe in Jesus so I don't give a shit what he thinks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)