Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hobo Day? Are you crazy?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:10 AM
  • 5 Replies

It's October...know what that means?  Homecoming!  Yup, it's that time of year.  Middle schools and high school will have a week of dressing up to get ready for the big game.  They'll wear pajamas, school colors, you name it.  All in the name of fun!

However, there's an issue around here.  A local high school had "Hobo Day."  And quite a few people got upset about it.  They contacted the news stations, saying that it's not right to make fun of homeless people, the school should be ashamed.  Many people on facebook said that it's not making fun of the homeless.  

I remember being a hobo for Halloween many years ago.  I had the handkerchief on a stick, dirty face, all of it.  Back then (the 80's), we didn't think twice about it.

Our DD is in 6th grade and this week is homecoming.  Yesterday was "Nerd Day."  I posted her pic on FB, since I loved the way she looked and someone commented (jokingly) that they were offended, since our school is making fun of nerds, like the other school made fun of homeless people.

Thought I'd bring this topic to the lovely land of MC and see what you ladies think.  Are the dress up ideas for homecoming week making fun of people or is it all in good fun?  

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Most look like hobos anyway when they wear PJ's in public.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:14 AM
People are overly sensitive these days. Everything hurts their feelings.

My mother was homeless for 10 years, by her own doing. I attended hobo day when I was in school! I was even a hobo for Halloween. So much fun.

I am tired of basing my decisions around other people's feelings. Clearly common sense is a factor and being out right mean isn't nice, but hobo day? Come on. Get real.

What's next, cops and robbers day will offend someone.
destiny3513
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:14 AM
Eh, doesn't bother me... just seems kinda lame. The nerd one too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:18 AM
I think it's plenty easy enough to choose a theme that does not label people or put anyone down. Our school has crazy hat days, silly sock days, favorite sport shirts days, tie dye days; etc. I think that is more appropriate when planning a school wide event in which everyone is dressing in the same theme.

Now when it comes to individual costumes, I think that's less of an issue. With a variety of costumes, there is no one particular group of people being signaled out. You will have all different costumes. That is different than an entire school focusing on the negative aspects of one particular type of person or group of people.

That's just my personal opinion on the matter. I realize everyone will have a variety of views on this topic.
halleys_mommy_1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM
It's spirit week here too.
Monday was dress like your fave super hero
Tuesday was hat day
Wed was dress up day (also picture day)
Today is dress like a farmer day (huge farm country)
And Friday is school colors (purple and gold)

I don't see an issue w it. But we had a redneck parade 2 4th of July's ago. Apparently that was racist and terrible.... haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)