Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

F u baby fever!!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:17 AM
  • 9 Replies
I am a 35 year old, single mom to one beautiful 5 year old. The moment she was laid in my arms I knew I would be happy with just her, and I have been. In that moment I also made both of us a promise. I promised, that as long as I was unmarried she would be my only child. I have a mirena, and do all I can prevent babies any time I have been in a physical relationship with any one.
Well here I am, suddenly dealing with my first, ever battle against baby fever. While I am seeing a very nice guy, we have only been seeing each other for a couple of months. We are no where near ready to get married, or have a child together, and I refuse to have another child as single mom. I'm thinking it's my age, and the realization that my baby making years are getting shorter that is causing this. I just hope it goes away soon because it's really annoying me. Any one else deal with this nonsense?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:01 AM
I had the last two of my five kids less than two years apart. The youngest child is 19 months old, and I'm 37. There's an 8 year age gap between my third child and my fourth. Idk if it was baby fever; we'd always said we'd like a fourth child before we turned 35 (DH and I are the same age, just one month apart, and he is bio-dad to all five kids). After we had Kieran (#4), and he was such a sweet, easy, delightful baby who had everyone -including all siblings- wrapped around his little finger, we decided that it would be nice for him to have a sibling to grow up with, like his older siblings have. So enter Rowan into our lives. I've had flashes of baby fever through the years, but this was different; it just felt like completing our family and enriching our lives. I think you've made an excellent, rational decision. But this is your life, too, and -baby fever moments aside, b/c you know the baby part is over too quickly:( - if you do decide you genuinely want another child who you can comfortably support, then do consider all options. (You don't have to sabotage birth control and make one with your new gentleman friend; there's adoption, being a foster parent, sperm donation, etc.) I commend your commitment to keeping your promise to your dd, and making a clearly thought out decision about having a family that includes marriage before more kids. I'm in no way a traditionalist, but I see so many "oops, I'm pregnant b/c I was on every form of BC known to mankind including a metal chastity belt but not abstinence, but I somehow got pregnant with my 7th baby with another different 9th baby daddy, & he don't want it & neither do I, what should I do?" posts, that your post is very refreshing and renews my faith on women and their ability to think with their heads - hell, to be able to think for themselves at all.
The baby fever comes & goes, I have friends who get it. You'll overcome the irrational biological imperative to hurry up and ensure the survival of the species by breeding before it's too late - that's all it is. If you decide to have another child, I believe you'll do it thoughtfully and for the right reasons.:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Starting when I was 25 and met my now DH. I had a 6 year old at the time and I was single. Fast forward 5 years and we have a 3 month old son together. Baby fever took hold and never let me go! lol. I'm already looking forward to the next one:)

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM
I'm sitting in the lobby of DS's school waiting for their chapel service to begin (DS will be an acolyte in the service) and there is the cutest little chubster playing next to me. I'm wrestling my ovaries into submission because they're screaming at me, lol.

I occasionally go INSANE and catch baby fever.
jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Thank you very much. I'm sure it will pass.

Quoting amje: I had the last two of my five kids less than two years apart. The youngest child is 19 months old, and I'm 37. There's an 8 year age gap between my third child and my fourth. Idk if it was baby fever; we'd always said we'd like a fourth child before we turned 35 (DH and I are the same age, just one month apart, and he is bio-dad to all five kids). After we had Kieran (#4), and he was such a sweet, easy, delightful baby who had everyone -including all siblings- wrapped around his little finger, we decided that it would be nice for him to have a sibling to grow up with, like his older siblings have. So enter Rowan into our lives. I've had flashes of baby fever through the years, but this was different; it just felt like completing our family and enriching our lives. I think you've made an excellent, rational decision. But this is your life, too, and -baby fever moments aside, b/c you know the baby part is over too quickly:( - if you do decide you genuinely want another child who you can comfortably support, then do consider all options. (You don't have to sabotage birth control and make one with your new gentleman friend; there's adoption, being a foster parent, sperm donation, etc.) I commend your commitment to keeping your promise to your dd, and making a clearly thought out decision about having a family that includes marriage before more kids. I'm in no way a traditionalist, but I see so many "oops, I'm pregnant b/c I was on every form of BC known to mankind including a metal chastity belt but not abstinence, but I somehow got pregnant with my 7th baby with another different 9th baby daddy, & he don't want it & neither do I, what should I do?" posts, that your post is very refreshing and renews my faith on women and their ability to think with their heads - hell, to be able to think for themselves at all.
The baby fever comes & goes, I have friends who get it. You'll overcome the irrational biological imperative to hurry up and ensure the survival of the species by breeding before it's too late - that's all it is. If you decide to have another child, I believe you'll do it thoughtfully and for the right reasons.:)
livyla
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Get a puppy. Lol. That is what I do. Actually I just got one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM
I have baby fever like crazy! We've also been trying to have a baby for two and a half years (almost three now). We got pregnant in July, but lost the baby.

And of course everyone around me is pregnant. (And most of them are not what I would consider good mothers....).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:49 PM
If you want to get rid of babyfever... Just think about all the crying, tantrums, the negative side that comes with having a baby/toddler LOL thats what i do!! Always backs me out haha
jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:02 PM
Lol. It've tried that.

Quoting Anonymous 3: If you want to get rid of babyfever... Just think about all the crying, tantrums, the negative side that comes with having a baby/toddler LOL thats what i do!! Always backs me out haha
jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. I can't get a puppy right now.

Quoting livyla: Get a puppy. Lol. That is what I do. Actually I just got one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)