Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medically enduced comas

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM
  • 24 Replies
Do you know anyone who was out into a medically induced coma?
If so why? And what was the out come?

They put my dad in one and I'm afraid if he actually lives, he may not be the same again
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K_Cired
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:00 AM
I was when I was 16. I was in a horrible motorcycle accident and coded for quite a length of time, then was kept under for two weeks to help recover easier.

I am a perfectly fine, normal functioning adult.
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:01 AM
Done correctly, there should be no permanent damage. They just give them a lot of drugs and they can control it. My best friend was put in several. If you don't mind me asking, why did they have to put him in coma?
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM
Was there a lot of physiotherapy involved? Did you know you were in a coma? Can you hear people talking to you? So you sense people around?

Sorry for the questions

Quoting K_Cired: I was when I was 16. I was in a horrible motorcycle accident and coded for quite a length of time, then was kept under for two weeks to help recover easier.

WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM
My dad had a massive heart attack and required a quadruple bypass. During the surgery he suffered a massive stroke. His hemoglobin is droping very fast and he has needed several blood transfusions. It the moment he is not breathing on his own and on life support. They are not sure the extent of the damage to his brain from the stroke

Quoting Momtoone07: Done correctly, there should be no permanent damage. They just give them a lot of drugs and they can control it. My best friend was put in several. If you don't mind me asking, why did they have to put him in coma?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM
They put my best friend in one when he hit his head really bad. They said it was to help the brain heal. It never healed and he passed away a few days later.
K_Cired
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:07 AM
No problem, ask away, but I fear I'm not much help.

For therapy, not umtil much later, nothing while I was under. My body was pretty broken and I was going through a surgery about every other day to replace some parts.

I knew nothing that I can remember. I don't even remember the accident, just what people tell me.

Quoting WemblyFraggle: Was there a lot of physiotherapy involved? Did you know you were in a coma? Can you hear people talking to you? So you sense people around?

Sorry for the questions

Quoting K_Cired: I was when I was 16. I was in a horrible motorcycle accident and coded for quite a length of time, then was kept under for two weeks to help recover easier.

WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:10 AM
So your memory loss was from the time of your accident to when you woke up. You still remember things prior and after?

Quoting K_Cired: No problem, ask away, but I fear I'm not much help.

For therapy, not umtil much later, nothing while I was under. My body was pretty broken and I was going through a surgery about every other day to replace some parts.

I knew nothing that I can remember. I don't even remember the accident, just what people tell me.

Quoting WemblyFraggle: Was there a lot of physiotherapy involved? Did you know you were in a coma? Can you hear people talking to you? So you sense people around?

Sorry for the questions

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:10 AM
It's not the coma that causes issues usually. It's like prolonged anesthesia. It's what ever caused the need for the coma that is the issue. I hope your dad is doing better soon. Good luck!!
jennierenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM
I hope your dad recovers well.
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:11 AM
The best possible thing for him is to sleep. That is when your body heals itself. I'm so sorry your family is going through this. How terribly scary. You are all in my thoughts.

Quoting WemblyFraggle: My dad had a massive heart attack and required a quadruple bypass. During the surgery he suffered a massive stroke. His hemoglobin is droping very fast and he has needed several blood transfusions. It the moment he is not breathing on his own and on life support. They are not sure the extent of the damage to his brain from the stroke

Quoting Momtoone07: Done correctly, there should be no permanent damage. They just give them a lot of drugs and they can control it. My best friend was put in several. If you don't mind me asking, why did they have to put him in coma?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)