Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what else to do with her!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
My 3 yo DD just won't quit! No matter how many times back to back she gets in trouble for something, she will turn around and do it again immediately. For example, I can put my Kindle Fire on my nightstand in my bedroom with the door closed. I will go to check on the girls, and dd5 will tell me dd3 is in my room. I'll look, and she has my Kindle. She gets in trouble, I take it away and then less than 10 minutes later she has it again. And we will repeat this process over and over and over EVERY DANG DAY!!!

It's like this for everything! I go to the bathroom, she opens the front door and goes outside (I just installed a look at the top of the screen door so she can't do it anymore). I'm cooking and she goes potty, and I find her playing in the sink or toilet. She climbs on the counter and gets into stuff multiple times a day while I'm not in the room. Right in front of me she will climb on the counter. She will climb on top of the washing machine and get the laundry tabs or air fresheners out of the cabinet. She gets into the fridge and gets stuff out.

We have tried time outs- worked for a little while and then it quit working. Tried taking things away, same thing. We tried positive reinforcement but it didn't phase her at all. And we've tried spankings-- works for about 2 hours and then she's right back at it. What else can I do???? This child is driving me insane with this crap!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Sounds like she needs some way to be confined when she is not having supervision. It's impossible for 24/7 supervision. But she might end up hurt. Do you have a way of gating an area off? Toddler proof as much as you can as well.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM
My son was a very busy toddler, thankfully the way our home was built I could gate the living room in. The living room was destruct proof. It kept him in one section so that I could cook, swap out laundry etc... it worked until the day came that he could climb over it anyway...
mom1st2three
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

duct tape her to the wall!!  j/k  What she said ^^^^^

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Put her in a playpen when you need to get things done. Or childproof a room and put her in there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM
I've tried using a baby gate on their room when I'm cooking or going to the bathroom and she climbs over it. She's a freaking monkey!! The little ones she's she basically jumped over no problem. Then I bought one of the tall metal gates (comes up about halfway on the door frame) and I caught her climbing over it while I was cooking!! I found her sitting on top of it about to jump the first day I put it up. After a few more times of trying to convince her NOT to climb it anymore, I took it down because I was afraid she would try to climb over and fall.

Quoting fallenangel_353: Sounds like she needs some way to be confined when she is not having supervision. It's impossible for 24/7 supervision. But she might end up hurt. Do you have a way of gating an area off? Toddler proof as much as you can as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM

try sticking to ONE method of discipline

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM
That's our problem... She climbs over everything! She even climbed over one of those tall baby gates that goes halfway up the door frame. She's a freaking monkey that can't be contained!! Lol

Quoting fallenangel_353: My son was a very busy toddler, thankfully the way our home was built I could gate the living room in. The living room was destruct proof. It kept him in one section so that I could cook, swap out laundry etc... it worked until the day came that he could climb over it anyway...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she's bored. Does she go to preschool?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
These methods have been used over the last year and a half. But when something isn't working, I'm not going to keep trying it-- that's pointless! It's called trial and error to see what WILL work.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

try sticking to ONE method of discipline

fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:31 AM
Yeah that sucks. Your past being able to use a gate. I had a monkey too. Your only option is to find a method of discipline, be firm and stick with one that she really dislikes. I hated time outs with my son because I nearly had to stay in time outs with him and it nearly came to submissive holds to get him to stay LOL! Time out won in the end. But it was a long and grueling battle.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've tried using a baby gate on their room when I'm cooking or going to the bathroom and she climbs over it. She's a freaking monkey!! The little ones she's she basically jumped over no problem. Then I bought one of the tall metal gates (comes up about halfway on the door frame) and I caught her climbing over it while I was cooking!! I found her sitting on top of it about to jump the first day I put it up. After a few more times of trying to convince her NOT to climb it anymore, I took it down because I was afraid she would try to climb over and fall.

Quoting fallenangel_353: Sounds like she needs some way to be confined when she is not having supervision. It's impossible for 24/7 supervision. But she might end up hurt. Do you have a way of gating an area off? Toddler proof as much as you can as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)