Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here is why I don't like people "witnessing" to my kids.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
3 moms liked this

We are not a religious family. We basically consider ourselves agnostic. While I don't have a problem with some of the stories, no problem with basic morality obviously, I do have a problem when my seven year old comes to me at bedtime telling me she is too anxious to sleep because she is afraid of "hell". A child at school told my daughter that she is going to hell because she "doesn't know Jesus" and my poor kid was terrified. We talked her down by telling her that at her age, she just needs to be concerned with being kind and doing the right thing and she has nothing to worry about. I was frustrated immensely. Indoctrinate your kids all you want, but tell them to keep their gospel at home. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maks1mommy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM
I remember the first time somebody told me I was going to hell. I started going to a bible study class with my friend lol. It really freaked me out for a minute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM

It's not a troll. I only went anon because I know how this place works. Had a twenty minute talk at bedtime last night because of this crap. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

LOL

Thanks for trolling about Christians .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Why do you think this isn't true? When my son was younger he used to get worried about me for the same reason. My parents took him to church where they told him that non believers go to Hell, and he knew I wasn't a Christian. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

LOL

Linda_Runs
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM

We are not overly religious as well, but your best way to deal with this is to educate your kids as much as possible.

Although you may not be religious, your grammar is excellent!  I don't see it that often here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:46 AM

She was pretty upset, but got over it pretty quick once we talked about it. 

Quoting Maks1mommy: I remember the first time somebody told me I was going to hell. I started going to a bible study class with my friend lol. It really freaked me out for a minute.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
That wasn't really telling your son gospel, it's not some secret that religion believes in heaven and hell. It's up to you to teach your child your values, it's not up to someone else to not talk about theirs.

We're a pretty none believing family, but mine still go to church events. I want them to make a choice on their own about what they believe. We discuss what they've learned I give them my perspective and let them think it out for themselves.
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM
When I was 8, the priest told me I was going to hell because I went to a different church for a bible study program.

This story is very believable to me.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM

They know a bit, but they are still young. We feel they can learn more as they grow and make their own choice. 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

We are not overly religious as well, but your best way to deal with this is to educate your kids as much as possible.

Although you may not be religious, your grammar is excellent!  I don't see it that often here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM

In my family we have a "follow your own path" mentality about things. So when my girls wanted to start learning about different religions, beliefs, and denominations I was all for it. The issue I found almost immediately with most Christians who spoke to the kids was that they referred to their beliefs as the truth. The ONLY truth. Imagine how confusing that was since they spoke to people from numerous different Christian denominations. You're hell bound if you don't believe EXACTLY this but the same thing is coming from a Lutheran, and person from a Pentecostal church, a Mormon, and a JW (not the hell part since they don't believe in that, but still). ALL believe something different and yet somehow they're all the only truth and you're going to burn if you don't follow them.

We're sticking to teaching them through books at home now. MUCH easier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Well, I have never seen this post before and it has happened to me as well, so I'm going to have to disagree.

It seems like anything said about religion that isn't rainbows and kitties is never well received.

Strike that, actually. Anything said about Christianity. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

beause it's a usual tactic by a troll, they are so unoriginal .

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why do you think this isn't true? When my son was younger he used to get worried about me for the same reason. My parents took him to church where they told him that non believers go to Hell, and he knew I wasn't a Christian. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)