Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No your kid can't go! *update*

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM
  • 51 Replies

Update: We had another meeting for Levi. The went over his results for some of the behavior and new speech testing they did. He is really behind in his speech, which is where some of the behavior problems stem from. He also was in the 98th% (which is the highest it goes) for Attention and hyperactivity.                                           We did discuss the play. Apparently these guidelines are something that the principal had come up with too, not just the teacher, and he is the only kid (K-5th) that wasn't going to be able to go due to not meeting those requirements. So what we are probably going to due is have the the person that worked out the behavior plan for him (not really sure of her title) go with him instead of me (since they have limited tickets she would take mine) so he won't think he can act up because mom is with him.  

So I have posted something about my youngest before. He is in Kindergarten this year. He has been having a lot of behavior problems at school. He is fianally starting to get a little better (gets some greens and not just red) but still having a lot of issues. He has an IEP for speech right now. We had an IEP meeting for him a few weeks ago and they are going to do more testing on him (for the emotional/behavioral problems).   

So now I get to my question. On the 30th of October K-5th grade are going on a field trip to see "The Musical Adventure Of Flat Stanley". The teacher has placed some conditions on him to go. "Follow Directions, Keep your hands to yourself, No yelling, Stay in your seat". He has to follow these for 2 weeks prior to the field trip for 12 out of 15 days. The thing is he won't be able to do it. Really he will be lucky to follow all the rules for 1 day out 15. I don't know if I should talk to the teacher about it or just leave it be.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:03 AM
5 moms liked this
Um he should have consequences if he misbehaves
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM

That's a lot for a kinder.  Maybe email the councelor and discuss if they think this is a good idea.  

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM
4 moms liked this
He needs to follow instructions if he wants to go. Everybody else's experience should not be ruined over him
AustinsMommy007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM
I would just prepare him not to go
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM
I'm not seeing the issue. He should have to follow the rules and show he can behave while on the field trip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think that the teacher would have set this goal for him if she thought it was completely impossible.

Kids can do amazing things when they have the right motivation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
He needs consequences and she shouldn't have to take a child to a field trip that can't behave himself. She'll be focusing on him and not be able to properly supervise the other kids.

Did you volunteer to go with him?
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you considered having him tested for something else?
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM

I see no issues with it, no matter what he needs to have a consequence for misbehaving, its going to be hard to take a child who is unwilling to listen on a field trip, it would be different if he was in a class for kids who have behavioural issues, since they are more well rounded to handle those kind of kids and have aids that go woth etc....

But if you feel that strongly about it, why do not go on the field trip with him and keep in check yourself, I bet the school will not have issues then...but you never know!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

how are fieldtrips handled with his IEP?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)