Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Bought a New House...Freaking Out!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

We have lived in a resort type, semi rural community for the last 12 years. We just bought a house about an hour away, in a more suburban town in a subdivision. 

We are moving in 29 days and I am freaking out...about everything! My 12 year old will be transferring from a 5th 6th grade middle school to a 6th-7th-8th grade larger middle school in the middle of the semester. Although we purchased a home $95,000 less than we were pre-qualified for, our payments will be going up by about $475 a month, plus there will be additional expenses that we didn't have before. I feel like by the time we pay all the closing & moving expenses (cleaning the carpets, moving truck, etc) we will be broke for a few months. 

I also don't know the area or where anything is or any people in this town. We know half the people where we live now and can't go anywhere without seeing someone we know. 

Is this type of panic normal? Please share your experiences. 

Thank you :)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Enjoy the journey stay positive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm under contract to buy a home right now.  OMG my nerves!  If it all works out, we close Nov. 29th.  Good luck to you guys!

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

yes it's normal. our house has an accepted offer and we are in the process of finding a new house. i'm terrified of the not owning a home looking for a home stage. :/ until we find a home we will be living with my in laws and if it starts tp take to long our plan is to rent month to month it's just find a place to rent month to month big enough for all of us and not overly expensive. :/ so yeah. 

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never moved away from my area, but I'm sure I would be panicing as well. I'm assuming you guys did the math to make sure you could afford all this stuff before buying? If so, calm down. If you are worried about money, cut back on things for a few months. Do some stuff yourself like cleaning the carpets. Its pretty easy to do and will save you a ton of money. When you have some free time, go up there and drive around the area to get an idea of where things are at. As for the school, just make sure your son has everything he needs. Check with the school and see if they have a required supply list. It might be different then what he has now.

ashtie
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
You'll be okay, change is part of life! I freaked out when we bought our house because ofor all the upkeep lol like if something broke we couldn't just call the office and it would be fixed. But really I love our home and life here! Good luck and congrats
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes it's normal. As long as you didn't buy above your means you should be fine. If you have a good amount in savings (id say 3- 5,000) that should cover most events that would occur. I'd recommend looking into the Next door app/website. It's to get you in touch with people in your neighborhood and surrounding areas. Some neighborhoods aren't doing them yet, but it's worth looking at.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)