Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/o post... Would you be offended if someone said your dog was not a welcome guest?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM
  • 353 Replies

If you are invited to someone's home and show up or ask to bring your dog, would you be offended if you were told "No".

If you showed up with a dog without discussing it prior, would you be upset if you were turned away at the door?

Do you think it rude or inhospitable to tell a guest "sorry no dogs allowed"?

*discluding service dogs.  If you invite someone to your house who has a service dog, knowing you won't allow dogs in your house, you are a special kind of asshole.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback2
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM

No.

I hate bringing my dogs along to others houses.

My aunt always wants me to bring my dogs with but they don't enjoy a 2 hour car ride one way.

Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM
11 moms liked this
No, that's not rude at all. I would bring my lab with me everywhere if I could, but I would never just assume he was welcome at anyone's home. And I definitely wouldn't just show up with him. THAT'S rude.
xixCandyxix
by Candy on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Yes I would be offended, but sometimes it's for a reason.

My mom had to tell my brother's gf she couldn't bring he dog anymore. He ran up to me barking and snarling and cornered me for no reason. The dog had been fine with me before. He did the same to another one of my brothers, for hugging my brother. She finally said that the dog can be in the fenced yard, or brothers room with the door shut, off leash. But any other times the dog MUST be on a leash in the house so it doesn't try to attack anyone.

livyla
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM
No.
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM
21 moms liked this
People that bring their dogs and expect people to welcome them are assholes. Not everyone wants a slobbery fur ball ripping up their upholstery and terrorizing their cat. Call ahead ffs.
Some people treat their dogs like their kids, and don't go anywhere without them. That's cool. But don't expect people to invite you places. When my kids were young, I didn't go anywhere that wasn't kid friendly. No hard feelings. I didn't expect people to cater to my screaming kids. I feel the same way about people and their dogs.
Cue the people freaking out over comparing dogs and kids.
illogicalkat
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM
5 moms liked this

No, no, and no.

Some people have allergies, some have other dogs that might not get along, some might just not like dogs. Any of those reasons are legitimate for not wanting guests to bring their dogs. It's rude to just show up with an animal and expect the host to be fine with it.

-EBAH
by SoulAssasin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:04 PM
I would not be offended.

I'd be bothered because I'd have to find dog care, or take him back home, but I wouldn't be offended.

Different homes, different rules. I'd want people to respect my rules the same way.
catcameback2
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you be offended that someone didn't want your dog in their home?

Quoting xixCandyxix:

Yes I would be offended, but sometimes it's for a reason.

My mom had to tell my brother's gf she couldn't bring he dog anymore. He ran up to me barking and snarling and cornered me for no reason. The dog had been fine with me before. He did the same to another one of my brothers, for hugging my brother. She finally said that the dog can be in the fenced yard, or brothers room with the door shut, off leash. But any other times the dog MUST be on a leash in the house so it doesn't try to attack anyone.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM

No, not at all.  They may have many reasons for not wanting to have your dog there. Maybe they have an allergy. Maybe they dislike dogs. Maybe they have pets that do not tolerate other dogs. Maybe one of the other guest has an issue with dogs.

I think it is rude to show up with an animal w/o asking if it is ok. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)