Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have fibromyalgia?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

My husband was just diagnosed. He is having a really hard time coping with it. He has been in excruciating pain for almost a year while waiting for a diagnosis. He joined a fibro forum yesterday and said every story he read there is from someone saying they've been in constant extreme pain for years and can barely stand it. I told him that people who are struggling (with anything) are more likely to seek out online support forums than people who are managing ok, so his sample is probably skewed. I figured maybe if I ask here I could get some other experiences.

He just has no hope that things will ever be "ok" again. I was just wondering if anyone on here has fibromyalgia and it hasn't ruined their lives, their careers, their happiness. I admit I don't know that much about it yet. I've begun the reading/researching but haven't gotten very far. Does anyone have any words of positivity or encouragement I can share with him? He is so scared, and I'm scared for him, and it's heartbreaking.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Tell him to look up Dr. St. Armand's guaifeninsen therapy.  It helped get rid of my trigger point pain.  Did the doctor give him anything for sleep?  I was given elavil and it was very helpful in letting me sleep.  I would sleep 10-12 hours in the beginning.  He needs to get his thyroid checked and get his vitamin d, iron, ferritin, zinc and b12 levels checked as well.  Optimal levels for vitamin d is 65-80ng/ml, ferritin should be slightly above 100 for men and b12 should be in the 900 range.  And he should get his hormones checked . . . estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.  And a 24hr saliva cortisol test.  

Fibromyalgia is a symptom of something else, not a final diagnosis.  My fibro was caused by my hypothyroidism.

He should check out the website Stop The Thyroid Madness too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you so much!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Tell him to look up Dr. St. Armand's guaifeninsen therapy.  It helped get rid of my trigger point pain.  Did the doctor give him anything for sleep?  I was given elavil and it was very helpful in letting me sleep.  I would sleep 10-12 hours in the beginning.  He needs to get his thyroid checked and get his vitamin d, iron, ferritin, zinc and b12 levels checked as well.  Optimal levels for vitamin d is 65-80ng/ml, ferritin should be slightly above 100 for men and b12 should be in the 900 range.  And he should get his hormones checked . . . estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.  And a 24hr saliva cortisol test.  

Fibromyalgia is a symptom of something else, not a final diagnosis.  My fibro was caused by my hypothyroidism.

He should check out the website Stop The Thyroid Madness too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)