Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this neglectful?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I'm a sahm.

About 2 hours a day (not consecutively), I put dd9mo in her play pen so I can get things done.

Most of the time she's ok and plays by herself. Sometimes she'll hold on to the side of the play pen and watch me, and I'm thinking "does she think I'm ignoring her?!", so I feel obligated to go give her attention.

I guess my question is, is it wrong to pretty much leave your baby in their play pen to play by themselves while you attend to other things?

(while she's still in sight, of course. We have a very open floor plan.)
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:28 PM
No.

I just let then do their own thing on the floor though. Let her roam, now is prime time for exploration! Baby proof if you're worried about her getting into something.
AvantGardener
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

You're going to have to lighten up a bit to make it through motherhood alive. 2 hours a day will not negatively effect your child.

owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM
No not at all. How else are you supposed to get things done? Independence is good for babies.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:30 PM
No one would get anything done otherwise :)
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:30 PM
No. That's the point of playpens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM
No. Things still need to get done. Dd also needs to learn the world doesn't revolve around her.
momngram
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:31 PM

No its not wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. :)
Mrs.Elsey8486
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM
No. They need time like that. Time to explore on their own. Give her a few toys and let her play. My kids spent more time then that "alone". I would spread out a big blanket on the floor, put pillows or cushions around the edge so they could not get out and put toys in different areas of the blanket so they would have to crawl from toy to toy to play with them. It gets them moving and exploring and teaches them a little independence. Which is good for them. I was always right there in eyesight, but not always giving them all my attention.
Ray-of-Beezy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM
No, it's not neglectful. If you were placing her in her pack and play, and she was screaming her head off for 2 hours then yeah, that would be something to feel guilty about. If she's content, clean, and fed keep on doing what you're doing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)