Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats up with her ear?! eww

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

so 2 nights ago my 2 yr old dd woke up crying, i went to see what was up, and she was inconsolable, so i got her out of bed, i first thought maybe a very bad dream? normally she is an excellent sleeper, but she just kept crying so i asked does this hurt does that hurt?

when i asked about her ear, she said "yeah my ear" 

well it was like 1 am so i gave her some tylenol, and cuddles, and then when she calmed down i put her back to bed and she went right to sleep.

the next morning she was perfectly fine, her normal cheerful self and no signs of ear pain, so i thought, okay well maybe it was just a bad dream (shes never had an ear infection before)

all day yesterday she was fine, she slept fine, but this morning when she woke up, her ear was full of reddish brown goop? like tons of ear wax?

she doesnt seem bothered by her ears at all, no pain ...so what the heck?

should i take her in? or is it normal for ears to discharge built up ear wax, and then it to drain like that?

what does this mean? i know her ear canal/opening is smaller on that side than it is on the other side and it always has been, but we have never had a problem with it?

take her to the doc or just...well...how exactly do you clean ears without qtips? i always was told not to use them?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WiseNWitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:33 PM

i will feel like a moron if i take her in and its not actually a reason to go in

PoisonEyeV
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Get some ear drops and see if she'll let you clean them out that way. Just use some tissue or a cotton round to clean out the outside of the hole. Don't put anything inside of her canal. Maybe if she'll also let you, use a small bulb syringe to rinse her ears out after the drops with luke warm water. She probably just has a build up and it's aggravating her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
She could have ruptured. That would explain the relief of pain and the reddish/brown discharge. I would take her in to be safe and see if she needs a course of antibiotics.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM
Reddish brown goop is a sign of infection.

I'll tell you last time my ds had this he actually had a wood chip in his ear.

Take her in and get some meds.
AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Could have been a bunch of wax built up... that happens to my son now and then

But it could also be an infection and the ear drum maybe be bleeding (ruptured)... that has happened to my son as well... however, what we saw that time was pussy fluid mixed with wax and blood. He was in terrible pain when it happened though.

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM

My sons's ears just to get clogged and I use to have to take him to the doctor to clean them.  I would call your ped and ask him what you should do...clean them yourself or be seen.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Both my boys ears have always been waxy. The doctor always told me to take a warm wash cloth and wipe them out. If you're concerned, take her in. I'd rather feel like a moron than something be wrong. Or maybe just call her doctor and tell them what's going on? Maybe they'll have better suggestions.
ladyvamp5489
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM

this, my son has a FLOWER in his  LOL

Quoting Anonymous 2: Reddish brown goop is a sign of infection. I'll tell you last time my ds had this he actually had a wood chip in his ear. Take her in and get some meds.

illneverbeold
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Ear candles...They suck the wax out and it's very relaxing. Order them online...they are kind of pricy, but worth it.

Quoting WiseNWitty:

so 2 nights ago my 2 yr old dd woke up crying, i went to see what was up, and she was inconsolable, so i got her out of bed, i first thought maybe a very bad dream? normally she is an excellent sleeper, but she just kept crying so i asked does this hurt does that hurt?

when i asked about her ear, she said "yeah my ear" 

well it was like 1 am so i gave her some tylenol, and cuddles, and then when she calmed down i put her back to bed and she went right to sleep.

the next morning she was perfectly fine, her normal cheerful self and no signs of ear pain, so i thought, okay well maybe it was just a bad dream (shes never had an ear infection before)

all day yesterday she was fine, she slept fine, but this morning when she woke up, her ear was full of reddish brown goop? like tons of ear wax?

she doesnt seem bothered by her ears at all, no pain ...so what the heck?

should i take her in? or is it normal for ears to discharge built up ear wax, and then it to drain like that?

what does this mean? i know her ear canal/opening is smaller on that side than it is on the other side and it always has been, but we have never had a problem with it?

take her to the doc or just...well...how exactly do you clean ears without qtips? i always was told not to use them?

bry36
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Sounds like her ear drum burst after that happens it generally doesn't hurt anymore .The reddish brown discharge is normal after that happens she probably needs an antibiotic . My sons would always burst at night he would wake up crying and once the burst happens that pressure is gone but sometimes they have have muffled hearing for a while after and if it happens alot prolonged hearing loss . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)