Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think of 50/50 custody?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
I'm not a fan of it. I never have been.

My DF and I are in a relationship defining situation.

I have a 70/30 split with my ex. He gets our kids EOWE and alternating holidays.

DF gets his kids two weekends our of the month and one weekday a night for dinner.

He wants to go for 50/50.

I told him he needs to be prepared to do 80% of the work for them if he seeks more time.

Are you a fan of a 50/50 split.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailiesmom515
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
If both parties are good parents and stable, absolutely. No reason to keep kids from a good parent unless it's necessary.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a fan. My nieces are victims of 50/50 custody. One week here, one week there, 2 hrs on this holiday there. They have no real home. Mom is actually considering giving up her half of the visitation just to help the girls. Dad refuses to budge. The girls are miserable, it's sad. As much as mom misses them she said she would rather take every other weekend then to keep the girls so unstable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM
I think it depends on what is best for the kids not what the parents want... I think sometimes 50/50 is hard on children because of there being so much back, and fourth between the two homes. In some other scenarios it might be the perfect arrangement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM
I don't think the back and forth benefits the kids.

Quoting hailiesmom515: If both parties are good parents and stable, absolutely. No reason to keep kids from a good parent unless it's necessary.
BeachTavern
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think it depends on what is best for the kids not what the parents want... I think sometimes 50/50 is hard on children because of there being so much back, and fourth between the two homes. In some other scenarios it might be the perfect arrangement.
ki19
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM
I do 50/50 and some days are better than others to be honest. And I'll warn you, just because the time is split, don't assume that the expenses will be. I still end up funding 99% of everything for DD
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:03 PM
I would never do it
hailiesmom515
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:03 PM
True, and it may not, but I know that my husband is a great father and no matter what happened to us neither him or the kids would want him to be a part time dad. There is really no happy medium when you are in this situation.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't think the back and forth benefits the kids.

Quoting hailiesmom515: If both parties are good parents and stable, absolutely. No reason to keep kids from a good parent unless it's necessary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM
If it works yes. It didn't for my ex and I. But I've never agreed with how he is with the kids. The TV is his babysitter. Thank goodness the situation changes to where they are with me all but EOWE. We never changed it in the paper work. But that was because I didn't want his money. I want stability for my kids
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM

DS has a friend that does 50/50 split with his parents and it seems to work really well for them. They spend Monday evening through Monday morning with Dad one week and then the same with Mom the next week. They have done this for the last 5-6 years and everyone involved seems to like it. I think it is great for the kids if the parents can make it work. It allows them to see BOTH of their parents a lot more and that is always a good thing in my book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)